New Apple MAC OS Sonoma 14.0

Roots magic 9 (perhaps others) not compatible with new MAC OS Sonoma 14.0

There are several post on this very subject including this one pinned to the top of the page

Why is because the flag for high resolution is set to “True” for a program that can’t display in high resolution.
Any chance there will be a fix, it’s been over a week…

1 Like

I have been running Sonoma since the release without experiencing this issue on any other application I run on my MacBook Air M1. RM9 is the only application that exhibits this issue. One application that I run that I would suggest is similar to RM9 which was developed for both Windows and MacOS is FTM2019 and it does not exhibit this problem.

1 Like

I have the same scenario. I’ve put RM9 on the shelf until issues get settled.

1 Like

As have I! I guess given the time it has taken to resolve other Mac OS issues in firstly RM8 and now RM9 it will be more than a cup of coffee between fixes.

1 Like

Yep, likely a small vacation first, with qualification of crossing legs, arms and fingers for good luck.

@JohnEChambers and @Handy

have you checked out this thread

not saying I would do it BUT if I was a Mac user, I would consider my options…

Definitely considered my options and was aware of the flag raised. The option was simple!

1 Like

I have downloaded several genealogy programs and none have exhibited the same problem as RM9. All my other applications work perfectly with Sonoma. I think RootsMagic needs a better software engineer!

2 Likes

Yes, I am aware of options and did try them out. I will continue to wait for a proper fix to be provided. A fair while back I moved away from using RM7 as my core tool to another commercial Mac option given the ongoing teething issues (particularly on the Mac) of then emerging v8, which seems to be ongoing with v9. The Sonoma issue is just the latest example. No doubt the RM developer(s) will eventually get on top of things but my choice has benefitted me by removing my reliance on them to fix things. RM is now relegated to secondary tool status in my kit of genealogy apps.

2 Likes

It is great news that a new version of RM9 is now available that fixes the Sonoma issue and some other bugs. That being said, I will still use RM as a secondary tool for the time being. My choice; I am not making any recommendation.