Need help downloading ancestry file to RM9

I am trying to use TreeShare for the first time. I am sure I am doing something wrong. I open the database file I want (I have created new ones also but they didn’t work either. Then I click import data. Then I click download from an online tree. Then I click on Ancestry. It will open another window showing I connected to Ancestry and that I can close the window. On RM it keeps giving me a “connection error (Ancestry)” “Ancestry is not responding”. I disabled 2 part authentication on Ancestry for this bit it didn’t help. I appreciate any help I can get with this. Thank You.

What version of RM are you using 9.1.4? Windows or mac?
see Help file

I am using 9.1.4 on Windows 7. I have looked through the help file and watched the videos. It connects to Ancestry and the shows an error that it can’t connect. I turned off 2 factor in case it was causing it but didn’t help.

That’s no longer compatible with RootsMagic two-factor authentication capability.
Cannot load Family Search onto Roots Magic - RootsMagic - RootsMagic Community

RM 9.1.5 on Windows 7 should be working with Ancestry. It’s RM7 that doesn’t work with Ancestry.

The Ancestry import will only work on a new blank database and not import into a file already with data. It sounds like you can login on the browser but something is stopping it from relaying that information back to RM. Check your security software and possibly using a different default web browser. It’s really hard to say on the “Ancestry is not responding” errors because it can be anywhere from your desktop, router and Ancestry server that is causing an issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. Logged in on a Windows 10 machine and it worked fine.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem. I’ve update RM to 9.1.6.0 and regardless of whether I have two part auth implemented or not I get the same “Connection Error (Ancestry)” and “Ancestry is not responding”

The program is running under Windows 7 (which for various reasons cannot be updated)

Since i bought RM specifically so i could download my Ancestry Tree for backup purposes this is very annoying. What ports does RM use to communicate with Ancestry - if not the standard ones this might be the source of the problem

We recommend Windows 7 users stay on update 9.1.3. Open a support ticket and we will give you a link to download it.
https://support.rootsmagic.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks - link requested in a ticket