Lost link bt RM and Ancestry

I upgraded to RM9 but when I try to share with my tree I get “The file is linked to an Ancestry tree but your login doesn’t have access to that tree.” and then some reasons but I don’t know how to correct. Any ideas?

i Ancestry
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 10.07.32 AM

It does appear that your new RM9 database has been logged on properly to Ancestry. Otherwise, there wouldn’t have been enough communication between RM Ancestry to be able to see that particular error message.

When you upgraded to RM9, were you upgrading from RM7 or were you upgrading from RM8? Either way, if your previous database was linked to Ancestry, then your new RM9 database should also be linked to Ancestry. That’s assuming that your old tree is still there on Ancestry.

I think you need to start by going back to your previous RM7 or RM8 database and verifying that it can still connect to Ancestry. Except that may not work because neither RM7 nor RM8 supports the new way to logon to Ancestry. This is going to be a tricky one to solve.

You may be suffering for Ancestry’s two step verification

First as @Biggles said, you have to log into Ancestry using the 2 step verification code- once verified, you will probably get the same message…

I had this same message come up the 1st time I tried tree share-- think you need to go to settings in your open database-- Under the light bulb, make sure everything under Ancestry has a check-- you will see RESET TREE SHARE-- try that 1st and see if you still get that message-- If you do then click on DISCONNECT FROM ANCESTRY TREE and it should clear up the problem I think…

If you disconnect, you will never be able to connect that particular RM database and that particular Ancestry tree together again. You should try all the other remedies, but not that one.

I understand completely what you are saying @thejerrybryan BUT the very 1st time I EVER TRIED TREESHARE was in RM 9–not in RM 8 , RM7 or any other genealogy program and I had the EXACT SAME MESSAGE that @rpuentes has above…

Now how can I be connected to any tree if I had NEVER used it?

So I read thru the whole WIKI and there is NOTHING there abt this error message-- finally tried Reset and then Disconnect-- after Disconnect, the Upload/ Download page came up…

Thanks all for the ideas! I was updating from RM8 to RM9. I use RM9 to do all my work and share things later with Ancestry. Shouldn’t I be able to just delete everything in Ancestry and upload my new tree from RM9? I am reluctant to try it given the discussion in this thread but seems like that should work, no?

Yes, linking/unlinked is all about tree already at Ancestry and database in RootsMagic.

Well that was easier than I thought. I just disconnected from the earlier tree, then uploaded a new tree from RM9, and then deleted the old tree in Ancestry.

Thanks for the advice all!

Disconnecting your Db from ancestry and pushing a new tree will work but it is a fairly drastic step. There’s no reason that the 8-9 upgrade should cause this issue and you may not want to do it because, as Jerry noted, the “disconnect” step is irreversible. Also, disconnecting your main RM db will cause your ancestry hints to start over from scratch. Before taking this step, consider some more basic actions:

1. Log into ancestry from a browser and confirm that your ID has edit rights to the tree in question.
  2. Redo your RM8 to RM9 upgrade
  3. Do a test - make a copy of your RM db, then disconnect the copy from ancestry, and pushing your copy db up to ancestry, via treeshare, as a new tree. This approach keeps your original RM tree connected to ancestry should you be able to sort things out.
1 Like

I’m totally puzzled at this point. The only way that message can appear is if your RM database was once connected to an Ancestry tree and something has gone wrong. Well, I could certainly be wrong. But under normal circumstances that’s not a message that appears when you are first uploading from RM to a new Ancestry tree.

In your case, are you sure there wasn’t some previous upload or download between your RM9 and Ancestry? Possible even an attempt at an upload or upload that failed and you had to cancel out of it?

1 Like

Do you have two Ancestry accounts? perhaps a paid and a guest?
Did you log in with the wrong ID, that perhaps can’t edit the tree you were working on.

Jerry --when I say NEVER–I mean NEVER— to be quite blunt, I’ve never been interested in Tree Share - @Alan DISERTATION ON PROPOSAL FOR TREESHARE IMPROVEMENT and the fact that others said that they had over 2000 changes that had to be accept or rejected one at a time just enforcement my NOT INTERESTED in tree share-- my thought on having to avoid accepting all those changes was why don’t you just download /upload a gedcom as it would be faster? I NOW KNOW THAT WOULD NOT WORK AS A GEDCOM WILL NOT UPLOAD/ DOWNLOAD MEDIA and all these people with tons of changes also had media
So in order to test out my theory. I decided to try treeshare

Jerry --when I say NEVER–I mean NEVER— to be quite blunt, I’ve never been interested in Tree Share - @Alan DISERTATION ON PROPOSAL FOR TREESHARE IMPROVEMENT and the fact that others said that they had over 2000 changes that had to be accept or rejected one at a time just reenforced my NOT INTERESTED in tree share-- my thought on having to avoid accepting all those changes was why don’t you just download /upload a gedcom as it would be faster? I NOW KNOW THAT WOULD NOT WORK AS A GEDCOM WILL NOT UPLOAD/ DOWNLOAD MEDIA and all these people with tons of changes also had media.
So in order to test out my theory. I decided to try treeshare

I did NOT even get to the screen to upload/download-- the message above from Rob P appeared as soon as I clicked on the Ancestry icon or clicked on Ancestry treeshare under published ( tried numerous times on both)— only way to get to the upload/download page was to hit disconnect and yes I had read the warning BUT in my case had nothing to lose as I had NEVER TRIED treeshare before…

edit-- a few other quick observations–when I 1st tried treeshare, I could use it on ONLY ONE FILE–in order to use it with another file, I would have to disconnect-- and then connect to another tree by uploading/ dowloading—now with the latest version of RM 9, I can upload/download all my files and use treeshare in each and every one ( one at a time though-- not multiples at one)…

So my question to you all–is @rpuentes being given this error message BECAUSE Ancestry is recognizing that his RM 9 file is NOT the same as what he has on ANCESTRY ( an RM 8 or RM 7 database)?

The only way to get a database not connected to an Ancestry tree suddenly connected to an Ancestry tree is to import a GEDCOM or do a drag n drop from a database that was connected.