Cannot load Family Search onto Roots Magic

I cannot access Family Search . When I click on the drop down menu under a name or from the Family Search icon at the bottom of the screen, I get a message that says"You have successfully signed into Family Search. Please return to RootMagic 9 desktop application to continue using it." then automatically I get seven (7) new tabs pop up across my screen that says this same message, the last screen tab says “This site can’t be reached, localhost refused to connect.” Localhost 9717, whatever that is. Can this be fixed???

I’d try just logging into FS in a browser, might be your internet connection.

If you are on a mac, make sure that you are running the latest version of RM9. There was a similar issue affecting mac users a few months ago. The v9.1.2 release fixed it.

If you’re on an older version of Windows, that does not support loading Microsoft msedgewebview2.exe, it could cause this issue.

We’ve been trying to figure out what is common between the handful of users reporting the opening of multiple tabs. Are you using a touchpad by any chance?

no, just a regular desktop using Windows 7

I can access FS as a stand-alone program, and it works fine, just can’t make FS and RootsMagic talk to each other.

Yes, I suspect that this older Windows 7 is the culprit.

1 Like

I have the latest version of RM9 on my Windows 7 and it works fine too, just can’t merge with FS.

If you are on Windows 7 and you care to try to, you can download and install the last version compatible with Windows 7 (build 109). Here( Microsoft Update Catalog) is a source. Don’t know if there is a newer 109 build, just offering a context.

When I had this problem (about a week ago, another thread) the only solution I found was to upgrade to Windows 10. I could have downgraded RootsMagic, of course, but that would only work until FamilySearch completes it’s transition to OAuth.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply to my problem. I think the best approach is to upgrade to Windows 10 and give that a try.

With Windows 7 have you tried using different default browsers?