Access Violation errors with version 9.1.4.0 (installed 10 Apr 2024)

Even though I am no longer using my external (larger) monitors – which seemed to solve the violation issue I was having with media (and I can’t wait until this bug is fixed), I just got a NEW violation on my laptop (Windows 11 Operating System, 64-bit) when I tried to add a new fact to a profile. Anybody else have this issue and, if so, how did you fix it?

@TeriMollison By any chance did you do something like this

meaning did you backspace or use an arrow key–reason I ask is that I do NOT have 2 monitors so therefore I had no problems with the access violation due to the new update UNTIL I followed these specific instruction-- then it happened in 3 to 8 clicks IF I had opened an edit screen in one file–did an edit–left that edit screen open and then tried to do the same edit in the 2nd file ( see note above if that is NOT clear)…
If not, post exactly what you did before the error occured please…

Are you using split screen with multiple databases?

I’m not sure I’m following what you are asking. After I posted this, I continued to have the problem over and over and over again when I was editing a profile to add or update a fact – and you are correct, it happened regardless of what fact I was creating. I would click the + sign on the profile page to select the fact type and then I’d get the error. Sometimes, I could select the fact type, and THEN get the error. At which point, my screen would freeze before I could enter any information about the fact on the right of the profile screen. When I closed the profile, using the CLOSE button on the bottom right, and then re-opened it, the fact type I had tried to add would appear at the bottom of the facts in the profile, and then I could enter information about it. I use the pointer to get to the field and then usually the return key or the pointer to move from one field to the next.

I finally shut the entire program down backing up all my media files, and so far today I’m not getting any errors. That said, I’ve just started working in it, so I’ll have to see if it continues to operate correctly. Hopefully the reboot cleared the registry or whatever it was causing the trouble. Fingers crossed.

No. Before the most recent update I did use multiple monitors, but not split screen. Now, since the update, I’m only using the one screen on my laptop with the open screens layered in the manner that the various views open by the system. Does that answer your question?

Good to see the development team have acted on our requests. Thank you for your work on this.
Now on RM 9.1.6.0. Editing on my second monitor no longer generates the error :slight_smile:

Cheers…

I have the same problem, Windows 11 Pro, 64 bit, 2 monitors. RM 9.1.4.0, access violation is at 00F2FFF9 in Rootsmagic.exe, “Read of address 00000068.” I am attempting to put in a death place, I get the access violation and I find that it has substituted data from another record - partial substitution. It’s something I can do over and over again. I’ve not tried it on any other person. Recently there was a Windows 11 update and I got a Blue Screen of Death shortly afterwards and I called Microsoft and they did a complete scan of my C disk - took several hours. No problem with any modules. (Rootsmagic is on my D drive.) I’m in “People”, Family View, and I click on the mother then click on her death date and then attempt to change the death place. I’ve not read all of the postings on this - there are many. Maybe what I’ve posted might help someone figure out what’s going on. I’ll stop working with RM until I get word that someone’s figured it out. I did do all the database tools and there were no problems with any of them.

Try the latest version 9.1.6 - 29 May 2024

Thank you Tom, that fixed it!

Does v9.1.6. really fix this? The change log does not mention it, unless this falls under the category of “cosmetic issues”. RootsMagic Update History

Tom’s reply to tcluster was about the 2 monitor problem which was fixed in Win with the 9.1.5 update. There was a subsequent update to 9.1.6.

Thanks BobC. Somehow I completely missed 9.1.5.