Access Violation errors with version 9.1.4.0 (installed 10 Apr 2024)

I get the error in Edit Person, if you back space or use an arrow key in for example “Place” field it causes an Access Violation which means you have to shut down the program. Also does it in “Place Details”, “Note”, “Description” fields. I have not tried all the fields.

Confirming this is an issue reported to development prior to the 9.1.4.0 release.

Bingo!!! with those instructions, I was able to duplicate your problem–I opened the 1st database and backspaced 2 places— then typed it back in-- no problem but that may be because places gives you a suggestion–so I opened my other test database- backspaced 1 on place FIELD and I got
and it locked up and did NOT want to let me close out of it UNTIL I clicked on a place outside of RM and then could close it ( and I don’t have a Mac --so found that interesting)
So to answer @rzamor1 questions and others
Installed 9.1.4.0 thru interface then reinstalled it by going to rootsmagic.com
Happens on Family View and Pedigree View
64 bit
NOT USING 2 Monitors— nor any cloud service
Windows 11 ( up-to date)-- BUT must add on this one that I was running RM 9 in a compatibility mode of Windows 8 – and as I am sure someone will ask, I was running with a compatibility mode of Win 8 for a different problem before the update–seems to have slowed that problem down BUT the first time I did use it, I got 4 errors in a row-- after that errors and the other problem rarely happened…

So decided to retry in Windows 11 without the compatibility mode of Win 8-- I would do the same change as above in the 1st database and then there was times that I would get the error message JUST trying to open the 2nd database and lots of other errors also…

I noticed 2 things with the compatibility mode 8—I have to open a 2nd database-- changing something in both databases AND THE EDIT SCREEN IN THE 1ST DATABASE MUST STILL BE OPEN --IT’S HIDING BEHIND THE DATABASE!!!

Basically the same when running it in Windows 11–without opening a 2nd database, I can’t make it happen–and if there are 2 databases open BUT the edit screen in the 1st is closed, I also can NOT make it happen–either way I can do all the changes I want without any errors…

Probably doesn’t help BUT it is what I found and saw

Using RM v9.1.4 x64 on Win11
haven’t been able to repo any AV errors.
I just wanted to ask you about how you came up with the idea of running RM in Win8 compatibility mode?
UPDATE- I now see that if you ask Windows to do compatibility mode troubleshooting, it will assign Win8 compatibility mode.
News to me !

OK, I believe what we have here is a good ol’ fashioned case of video buffer overflow.

I was seeing this problem almost constantly with both 32-bit and 64-bit v.9.1.4.0 (9 Apr 2024) using Win11 on a laptop with a large external monitor. The easiest repro is to be in the Person Edit screen and use the dropdown arrow to switch to the spouse or a child.

After some experimentation, I’ve discovered that the error ONLY happens when I have RM displayed on my big monitor. When I have it on the laptop display, the app works like a charm. Move it back to the big monitor: whamo! Move the app back to the laptop display, and I can click around like a madman and never get the error popup. And this is with this same running instance of the app; I don’t even have to exit and restart RM.

I’m convinced that RM is writing directly to video memory to draw the visuals in a performant way. No issue there. But, when the app is on a large display, the video buffer array needs to be much larger to accommodate more pixels. RM knows this and tries to access it, but in so doing, it tries to access beyond the memory array that Windows allocated to the program, and: Access Violation!

My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad with the internal display res at 1920x1200. The external monitor is an HP 32" Envy with res at 2560x1440. I tried scaling down the external monitor to match the res of the laptop, but still got the error. Even when I got the external monitor down to 1024x768 (Holy 2002, Batman!).

Hopefully this gives RM enough info to address the issue. The app is so much better on the big screen.

1 Like

Just to support markwhidby comments, I was using a second larger screen when I had the error with edit person, opened RM in the laptop screen following the above comments and it doesnt generate an error.

I use a 2nd monitor also. When I move RM to the laptop screen, the problem goes away.

Yes and the interesting thing is that after the initial 4 errors in a row right after each one, my problem and my access violations have SLOWED DOWN-- there are NOT completely gone BUT???

does not work on mac sonoma MBA 15 M2. you select a tool, run it, close the popup window. If you then click return you just get the same popup again. you have to click to another program and return.

I have the same problem with second monitor; fine on laptop screen.

To add to the discussion/investigation of this problem…After upgrading to v9.1.4.0 this morning, I immediately began receiving these Access Violation errors when working in my RM database that had never experienced these types of errors before. I encountered the errors when attempting to enter a fact date with the month drop down menu in the Edit Person screen which I accessed from the Family View. I’m using RM9 on a Surface Pro 9 utilizing 64-bit Windows 11. At the time I encountered the errors, I had RM9 displayed on a second external monitor which is how I always use RM when working at home. I’ve never had issues using a second screen before. After reading this thread, I confirmed that when I moved the RM application back to my Surface Pro screen, it worked normally without errors. Moved it back to the external monitor, and encountered AV errors again when accessing the drop down month menu in the fact date field.

So it appears that the latest update has created these Access Violation issues when displaying the application on a second monitor. I hope they can get this fixed soon. Being able to work on the larger monitor is so much better on my tired old eyes.

I’m getting the access violation and a Pointer Error. I’ve tried with both a second monitor and just on my laptop. I get it no matter which I have (I unplugged the second monitor from laptop and restarted computer). Using Windows 11, 64 bit with 64 bit install.

I am Win 7 x64 running RM x64 and, as reported back in Access Violation reporting some time in 2023,
the 9.1.4.0 (second edition) also still AcVios. Each new version of 9 (and 8 before that and 7.9 before that) I groom my RM 7 databases with the tools, import them into 9 and test.
\s\Rick

@markwhidby post above had some interesting points BUT I have to agree with you that the problem is having 2 monitors as I do NOT have 2 monitors — therefore no problems with THIS TYPE OF ACCESS VIOLATION UNLESS I open the 1st database-try to make a change in one person’s edit screen–leave that person’s edit screen open, then open a 2nd database and try to make a change–without the 1st edit screen open in the 1st database, I CAN OPEN as many edit screens as allowed and have no problems

iMac, Sonoma 14.4.1, M3 user and confirming Rooty’s observation that this didn’t happen on my end with previous RM9 versions for MAC and that unfortunately the “Return” tip does not work.

As of today, the need to click outside of the RM window to run each tool after first running the “Test Integrity” tool and the ability to exit (< Tools) still exists.

I am using an external monitor and I get the access error when I run RootsMagic (latest release) on the external monitor, nothing was updated when I go back into the record. When I run RootsMagic on the laptop, I still get the error but it saves the changes and everything is there when I got back into the record and look at what I updated/changed.

I have the same Access violation since update. Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor (Intel($) Core. Use two external monitors in addition to laptop.

Per the suggestions above, I’ve moved RM from an external monitor to laptop and it seems to be working now. Let’s all hope RM fixes this glitch ASAP.

I’m on Windows 10 Pro - up to date with updates and never normally get errors with RM yet since this 9.1.4.0 update I’ve had errors a few times (not every time) after closing my database file then exiting RootsMagic with the X top right. And not even on the same database file each time. Very random and of course I’ve run Tools.

Thanks for the hint Mark

Moving RM back from my second monitor to my laptop screen works for me as well. The issue only appeared after the recent upgrade of the software.

Running RM 9.1.4.0 - HP 360 Laptop with Win 10 Professional with HP 32" Monitor.

Cheers…

1 Like

I had this issue and contacted RM. They said it was a known issue they were working on. (I failed to ask for when it would be corrected.) I reinstalled my RM 9.1.0 version. I think they should remove the RM home page link until it gets fixed as more and more people will update to a version not working.

1 Like