I discovered that I have two Election fact types in my database - the built-in one and a user defined one. The user defined one came into my database decades ago via a GEDCOM import. The built-in one had no uses and the user defined one had one use.
In RM7 I was able to change the person’s use of the fact type from the user defined one to the built-in one without difficulty. In RM9 I was not able to make the same change. When I tried to do so in RM9’s Edit Person screen, it kept going back to the user defined one. There was no error message or Access Violation error or anything like that. It simply chose the Election fact type that I had not highlighted instead of the Election fact type that I had highlighted.
I solved the problem by renaming the user defined Election fact to the Flection fact. After the rename, I was able to change the user defined Flection fact to the built-in Election fact without difficulty in RM9’s Edit Person screen. At this point, since the user defined Election fact in RM7 and the user defined Flection fact in RM9 were no longer in use I was able to delete them in both RM7 and RM9 without difficulty.
RM 184.108.40.206 (64 bit), Windows 10 with all updates current