TreeShare - GedCom Question

I’m one of those people who have a larger tree who is struggling with getting TreeShare to work on my laptop. (It works on my desktop.)

As an experiment I tried to separate off my FAN club research and see if I could get TreeShare to work with this smaller set of data.

Steps I followed:

• Created a marked group containing the members of the FAN Club

• Created a GedCom file from the marked group

• Imported the GedCom file into RM8 on my laptop creating a new file called Crawford-Fan-Club.rmtree. This file has 2341 people in it.

• Started TreeShare, logging into Ancestry

TreeShare did not give me the option to Upload a file. Instead it tried to connect to my existing tree. I reset TreeShare and tried again and it still tried to connect to my existing tree.

This raises several questions:

1. Can I have several RM files that connect to one tree on Ancestry?
  2. Is there a way to split out a portion of a RM file and not have it retain the connection to the original Ancestry tree?

#1. Yes you can have several RM files that connect to one tree on ancestry.

#2. No, there is not a way to split out a portion of an RM file and not have it retain the connection to the original ancestry. The connection is maintained in the GECOM file you create. But you can accomplish the same thing after you import the split out GEDCOM into a new RM database by Disconnect from TreeShare. You used the word “Reset”. Did you mean “Disconnect”? In my experience the Disconnect does work. The Disconnect in RM8 is under Settings => WebHint settings.