RM 8 on Linux/Wine

i found another page that shows the missing last letter effect.
if you create a *.rmtree file with a long file name, you’ll see *.rmtre instead of *.rmtree when you go to load or import the file.

anyone else see this?

edit: also see this when looking at an individuals facts. i see some years truncated to 202 or 198, missing last number

well, i have more problems here.
since updating to the latest release, i can no longer publish any reports.
i get a crash every single time now, on both of my linux pc.
anyone else see this problem?

There was an issue with the first release of update 8.2.5.0 for Windows users. An updated DLL used when creating the installer caused an issue creating reports. We have updated the installers with the original DLL. A new download of update (8.2.5) will resolve this issue.

Go to:
https://rootsmagic.com/Download/RootsMagic-8/
and click “RootsMagic 8.2.5 Installer” to download the new install, then run the downloaded file (make sure RM8 is not running when you run the installer).

1 Like

thank you, that solved my reports problem.
maybe create an 8.2.5.1 next time so everyone automatically get the fixed version of the installer?

The Mac version did not have the same problem, so in order to keep the versions in line and not have to build both, they elected to go with keeping the version the same and announcing that one needed to download the installer again.

Anybody figure out how to get internet access on latest RM8 and wine?

How do you mean? To access Ancestry and FamilySearch? Or in ways that I don’t know?

From here, all communications with Ancestry and FamilySearch are OK.

Yes! All of my attempts to install in wine install OK but there is no internet connection to even attempt sync.
If it works then I am missing something in my wine setup. I rarely use wine but getting at least one genealogy package that syncs with Ancestry and FamilySearch working in wine would save me from having to run windows.

I think I found the issue. It looks like I did not uncheck MS webview. We’ll see.

OK, I hope that helps. I’m downloading a large tree right now, and I also installed Safari in Wine, to check whether I can access the web with that.

Do you use winetricks? 32 or 64 bits? I don’t like PlayOnLinux because it hides too much.

OK. I gave it another shot today with version 8.2.7.
I just downloaded it and right clicked it and ran it with wine. After I let it install, I was able to dowload my tree from Ancestry and everything worked fine, so far.
I don’t know if there is something different in my wine install or the version, but it looks good at the moment. (did not install MS webview)

Has anyone had the opportunity to take “Crossover” software for a spin running RM8. Just testing the water with Linux “Mint-Cinnamon”.

I wouldn’t waste my time on that. Wine and winetricks are free, and do the job quite well, if you know the needed settings. And these are quite simple:

1. Add GDI plus,
  2. Set the emulated Windows version to 10.

And in this case it’s quite safe to use the Wine version offered by Mint itself, assuming that you use the ubuntu based Mint, and not LMDE.