Newly entered person disappears from immeditate view after input from unfiltered person list

Can anyone else reproduce this please.
Support are telling me they cannot and that it must therefore be my database “but it just might be how old your Mac is it is right on the edge of working with RM8”!!
I’m running Catalina on a MacBookPro with plenty of disk space and memory.
AND I had advised that this happens consistently for me on a completely separate Win10 machine and other databases, so I call that clutching at straws.

What I summarised for RM after several conversations and experiments:

Having experimented further,
IF I start from Pedigree view and Add individual
the new person is then shown as the focus of the pedigree, and is added
to the history panel, both of which I would expect to happen
IF I Add individual from People list
they vanish from view, neither appearing in history nor on the screen,
even if it was already sorted by last edit date
UNLESS I had the people list filtered by a criteria they would meet.

I consider this a bug.
Or at the very least an inconsistency in treatment of when people get
added to the History and a people list sorted by last edit date

Background:
The newly input person is definitely in the database but I have to remember who they were to search for them to finish whatever I’d added them for
Which can be a bit of an ask if I’ve been working on several DNA matches, from several open screens, have clicked on Close and gone off to make a cuppa or whatever I get distracted by, coming back and expecting to see what I’d just done visible on the screen :face_with_raised_eyebrow

I do prefer closing a filtered people list as soon as I no longer need it as I navigate around my database a lot and expect when I click on someone from the history list that they’ll appear in the People panel on the RHS, which they wont if they don’t meet the filter conditions.
But searching for somone unrelated I’m about to add and leaving that filter in place is my current workaraound, which I’d prefer not to have to do.

Starting from eg pedigree view, the second I push OK from the initial input screen the newly input person pops up in the History list for me, so even before the display of the edit screen where I add sources etc and click Close.
But not when working from the unfiltered person list.

I can partially replicate this problem.

I am in People List View in the main view and in the History tab in the lower portion of the left side panel. I have Date Edited as a column in People List View. I have People List View sorted descending by Date Edited. I have People List View scrolled all the way to the top of the screen so that the most recently edited person is at the top of the list.

I add a new individual by clicking the + sign in the People List View title bar. I don’t think it matters how you add the new individual as long as it’s a new individual rather than a new child or a new spouse or a new parent. For this person, it doesn’t matter what their name is because People List View is sorted by Date Edited.

The newly added person is not added to the History list, no matter how long you wait. I think this piece of the puzzle surely could be reproduced by RM Support. Also, I don’t think this problem really has anything to do with which columns are in People List View or how the columns are sorted. It only has to do with the fact that the Add Individual is being done from People List View.

The person is not added to People List View right away. But for me at least, the person is added to People List View within a few seconds and is the first person in the list. This delay seems like it’s just standard RM8 sluggishness in updating People List View. I have Windows 10 with lots of memory and a fast disk but updating People List View is always sluggish. The newly added person is only in the right position in People List View because of the way I have the columns set up for People List View. Keep reading for another scenario where the newly added person is in totally the wrong position in People List View.

I run the same experiment a slightly different way. I am in People List View in the main view and in the History tab in the lower portion of the left side panel. I still have Date Edited as a column in People List View but it is of no consequence to this version of the experiment. Instead, I have People List View sorted ascending by Name. I have a person whose surname starts with P highlighted. I have People List View scrolled all the way to the top of the screen so that the first person in alphabetical order is at the top of the screen. But remember that the person at the top of the screen is not the highlighted person.

I add a new individual by clicking the + sign in the People List View title bar. I don’t think it matters how you add the new individual as long as it’s a new individual rather than a new child or a new spouse or a new parent. This time, I add a new individual whose surname begins with D. Because People List View is presently sorted by name, this puts the person well down from the top of the list but well above the presently highlighted person whose surname starts with P.

The newly added person is not added to the History list, no matter how long you wait. But the person who is at the top of the screen in People List View - the person who is the first person in the database in alphabetic order, is added to the History list. The Add Individual had nothing to do with that person, but they were added to the history list instead of the newly added person. It’s sort of like RM8 was intending to put the newly added person at the top of the screen and then add the person at the top of the screen to the History list. But because it really didn’t put the right person at the top of People List View screen, the right person wasn’t added to the History list. The newly added person really is in People List View, but you have to scroll down to the surnames starting with D to see them.

I’m out of town and not in a good position to make a video, but I think if my process is followed exactly that the problems can be seen. There are really two problems. One problem is not adding a newly added person to the History list if the Add Individual is done while in People List View. The other problem is not making the newly added person the highlighted person when in People List View, and I think the second problem may be part of the cause of the first.

But I think there is a much deeper problem. I complain all the time that RM8’s behavior when changing main views makes no sense and that it really needs to be fixed. What needs to happen when changing from main view A to main view B is the following. The person who is the highlighted person in main view A needs to remain the highlighted person in main view B and even more importantly the highlighted person needs to be in the Primary Position of main view B. When main view B is People List View, the Primary Position needs to be the first line on the screen.

What this has to do with the Add Individual process it that the newly added individual has to become the highlighted person in whatever main view is in effect. So if the procedure I described in the previous paragraph were the way RM8 had been designed, the problem with Add Individual probably wouldn’t even exist. A newly added person in People List View would be in the first line of People List view and would be sorted correctly according to the sort column that is in effect.

Thank you @thejerrybryan
Showing a newly input person in the history view (which I too had open ) is my basic requirement.

I can put up with, reluctantly, the sluggish addition to the people list but would prefer them to be automatically in view rather than having to make sure I’d sorted and positioned it a specific way

Yes an “interresting” quirk.

I find the missing history addition very disconcerting ,and inconsistent treatment from other views, that a person I’ve just entered is nowhere to be seen on my screen after I’ve input them.

I hope that support are reading this given you have confirmed my findings, given the person I’ve been dealing with cannot.
And you have helpfully added some additional quirks

I also find the navigation frustrating, and would also very much like an option to bring back the link between the index and the person list I’m so used to - both in RM7 (and my still live, TMG :))
But that’s a whole separate topic.

I was concerned that RM Support may have thought Catalina was “on the edge of working with RM8”. I found the ticket and happily didn’t see that was the case. They were just asking what Mac version you were using.

I can see when you add an individual while on the People List that focus is lost. When focus is lost it will highlight the first person in the list. That means the first person on the People List has focus and then appears on the History list, instead of the new person added. I am confirming this has been reported to development. The newly added person is on the People List and I could see them sorted by Edit Date. With focus lost you have to scroll to see them.

Renee,

Looks like this is the same problem at my Windows 10 when transferring persons from FamilySearch. See Ticket 113799. Yesterday Diana was into my database, but as it happens from time to time, she could not see it happen then. Had the same problem with RM 7. Yesterday it happened twice for me.

Renee, I have sent you a PM, that was a direct quote from the email I received.

It is true you can have an older Mac that just barely runs Catalina. That does not mean Catalina is the issue.

UPDATE: Fixed in 8.2