Newbie Questions

In Finder, right click and choose Quick Actions. This will let you convert image formats for selected files OR create a single PDF file from all of them. I use this to combine related documents, screenshots and pdfs into one media file.

Perhaps move your Media folder out of Backups and into the higher Rootsmagic folder. You would then need to change the default path in settings to the Media folder and perhaps fix broken media links and point to the new location. Having the Media folder in a folder where you regularly delete other backup files seems risky for a finger twitch.

I wonder if this is because RM doesn’t have access to these folders?

If you go to Security & Privacy within System Preferences, and select the Privacy tab, and go down to Files & Folders, does RM have access to your Documents Folder? (Mine does.) Alternatively, does it have Full Disk Access - the item one up in the left hand column? (Mine doesn’t.)

Just wondering.

Rooty…GREAT suggestions. When I feel a bit more confident, I am going to test your Quick Actions for creating a single PDF file for better organizing and then move the Media folder for safety. Thanks again for all of your help!

JP1…oh my…you are a genius! You have just solved all of my link and scrapbook issues! I can now pull up my media and get full size copies in scrapbook! And, no more Access Violations when I want to publish scrapbook! Your solution may also be the answer for all of those Mac users I read about that are getting those Access Violation popups! Bless you…thank you! :slight_smile:

Quick question…my Privacy access for RM has three options: Downloads Folder, Documents Folder and Desktop Folder. Do you only grant access to the Documents Folder or to all three?

1 Like

Well, the only option I seem to have is my Documents Folder. Maybe that is because of when I installed RM8 and the version of MacOS that I am on - Big Sur as that is the highest level supported for my particular iMac (2014). More recent versions of Mac OS may offer the options you mention. I don’t see any great harm in allowing all 3, but that depends on your usage. I would have thought all your permanent folders would be under Documents.

Yes, JP1, all of my permanent folders are indeed under Documents so I will leave it with allowing just the Documents Folder.

Thanks again!

JP1: on Monterey RM8 files&Folders choices are Documents and Downloads so you are not limited on Big Sur. I too was limited to Catalina on my 2014 MBP which would have been bricked by Big Sur but now have a 2022 MBP 14 M1 Pro.

I have a similar issue @Runner. I have just created a family group sheet but the media in it look terrible, although the originals linked to the individuals are good quality jpegs. It is thumbnails that are being inserted into the report, so it is pointless them being there and I’ll just exclude images next time.

I’ve just tried a scrapbook report for someone - the documents are just illegible black marks on the page and the photos are so grainy I can’t make out who they are.