Multiple Databases & Multiple Drives

When creating a new Database, folder settings do not change to match the folders which were setup for that Database. Is this tied to the comment in the early Webinar about Libraries? I like to keep one program, multiple file locations and cannot get to that point. This is especially true with backups being on separate drives and folders.

Not sure which comment you’re referring to but, in any case, in V8, Folder settings apply at the program level, not the db level. As noted in other threads, changes to the default media folder setting in particular should be done with care because, with V8, media file locations are stored as relative paths. There’s a number of symbols used in the actual stored file string but it’s easy to unintentionally break media links when changing the default media folder.

You may prefer to set up a separate set of folders for each database, but RM doesn’t work that way. Folders are a global setting for the program as a whole, not separate settings for each database.

For the most part, that hasn’t bothered me through the years. I mostly prefer one database. That way, I can find relationships where different lines cross. But just recently I have been working on a small genealogy project for a friend. For this project, I would very much prefer separate folders entirely - separate database folder, separate media folder, separate GEDCOM folder, separate report folder, and separate backup folder. I’m not aware of a good workaround.

1 Like

Perhaps point to one media folder which contains separate media subfolders one for each database. RM8 is quite good at finding media if pointed in the right area and is not troubled by nested folders. FTM is terrible at this.

1 Like

This can work quite well. As an extreme case, you could make a separate folder for each database and make the overall default media folder be the C:\ drive as a whole (or the equivalent on a Mac). Even though this would work, I wouldn’t recommend such an extreme solution. I think Rooty’s suggestion is better. I guess this actually is sort of a workaround for the media folder.

This idea works for the media folder because you can really put each of your media files anywhere you wish. They can be stored in a highly organized fashion or in a highly disorganized fashion, and RM doesn’t care. It has a separate link to each separate file. You are putting the files where they go, and when you are putting the files somewhere you are not using RM to do so. This idea does not work for any of the other four default folders because it is usually RM that is storing the files and it uses the default media files as the place to start.

1 Like

The location of RM files and folders seems to be a challenge for users who are not well versed in the OS. In our RM support group, this topic seems to surface in every meeting. I would like to see the default folder/file locations stored in each RM database. I work on 8 separate family history files so the current default folder/file locations need to be updated each time I change projects.

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. Appreciate them all.

1 Like