Is there an audit trail?

Is there any way to find out how a person was created in RM9?

I just went into Treeshare (the last of several times so far today) and at the top of the screen of changed persons was someone apparently newly added to RM9 and not present in Ancestry. The person concerned is shown below

I have no idea how I created this person, but since I have been using Treeshare, and since RM9’s add person screen requires a name, I guess that Treeshare might have added him. But I don’t know which particular operation might have been involved.

There is no audit trail of the sort you are talking about.

I’ve seen failed imports from FamilySearch can create [Unknown] [Unknown]. You try to add someone to RM and FamilySearch fails to send the data with it.

Thanks @rzamor1 I can see how that might happen. However, I rarely copy people or information from FS to RM and I hadn’t done so during the relevant period; perhaps something similar happened when attempting to copy a person from Ancestry to RM. One small puzzle is that the person does have one attribute, a male sex. I would have expected sex unknown.

Still, we are unlikely to find out what happened, so there is probably nothing to be done.

If I am not mistaken the EDIT person date field should be updated in most cases which might help WHEN (but not HOW) – the when might give you some clue

Thanks @kevync1985. I thought that the date field should be there, but I already knew fairly closely when the person had been created; he was present when I opened treeshare just before posting and had not been present when I opened it 15 minutes previously. He also had the highest RIN in my database. I was interested in the how rather than the when.

I’ve seen failed sends with Ancestry though not a often as FamilySearch.

Can you elaborate on that? I see it quite a lot, or something similar, when I import a few generations, and some people don’t seem to have parents after that import, even though they exist on FamilySearch, and fit within the range limit that I specified for that import. I sometimes see that for matches too, when the persons already exist in my tree, but matches are not connected to their direct relatives.

In all these cases, I am not aware of any failures, although I might miss some when I walk away during import. I see no error pop-ups, and at the end of the process RM 9 just says Import Complete.

Can you see more with import logs, or other means that I don’t know as a user? I use RM 9 Essentials, so I can’t run the database consistency checks, and I also can’t spy on the connection with FamilySearch. I might look in the database with SQLite, but I haven’t tried that, and a GEDCOM export does not show any irregularities. I might be able to upload a few screen shots, which don’t show unknown like this one, but where a person has a spouse, but that spouse has no vitals or names, even though there is a mention of a spouse in the info box, and on FamilySearch.

The only fail I am speaking of is phantoms or incomplete people imported. Imports won’t match anyone existing in your database, it would always be a new person. You would need to match the existing person to someone on FamilySearch. I’m not sure why it didn’t go back as many generations as you selected either. We can only receive with FamilySearch sends us.

When I read this first, I didn’t quite understand what you meant, but I did another import today, and now I think that I know why I have such gaps.

And that is a mixture of what you wrote, meaning that imports won’t match anyone existing. That is true, in the sense that when I import ancestors for different branches, which have an ancestral relation, the 2nd import won’t match the ancestors imported for the 1st, like Ancestral Quest does, but it won’t import a new person either. So in the end, it will give me a person without parents, for whom the Share Data window shows that the parents are already matched with persons in the database, by disolaying them with a blue icon in the 2nd column on the right side. And when I click that, another pop-up asks me whether I want to Remove the match, which is something that I don’t want.

The part that seems to be missing here is that these parents are not linked to the child in my local database. So in the display, it looks like an end-of-line person. And in the Share Data window, they do not appear as the subjects parents on the left side.

I can correct this, by linking them manually, but that is extra work that can be avoided, if the vitals and FamilySearch ID’s match.

This is one case that I found today, and I may need another run to see whether I can reproduce this.

We recommend doing imports into new blank database. That allows you to exam that you have everything you need and clean up the file. You can then drag n drop them into the man database. If you drag n drop on top of a matching person and check the box they are the same it will merge them. In drag n drop you can also drop them into the parent position and confirm the link.

1 Like