Downloading Ancestry tree

When I try to download my Ancestry tree on my Mac, Rootsmagic loses the connection while downloading the media. It always happens at the same point in the download–media gets to 33% completed then the connection is lost and I cannot get it back. Have tried the download several times and get the same result. Have also removed and reinstalled the software but have had no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks.

GDV

Similar problem when uploading any but a tiny tree to ancestry from RM8 if media are included. RM8 seems to time out, give meaningless error messages and generally be useless. Long running bug with no apparent interest in a fix.

Thanks for the response, Rooty. I did not know it was a long running bug. Disappointing to hear there is no apparent interest in a fix–the bug negates a reason (syncing with Ancestry) why many folks are interested in the software. GDV

2 Likes

I to have small trees, the largest being only18000 and I’ve never experienced any issues either in uploads or downloads, sorry that I can’t assist.

John

Thanks, John. My tree is less than 1900 people but does not want to download completely. Hopefully, the issue will get resolved in the near future. GDV

I have my main ancestry tree that the main reason I got rootsmagic was to back up the media.
I encountered this problem every previous time. I finally decided to accept the dialog of error communicating with ancestry and it continued where it left off downloading. After many such restarts it finally completed the download. My theory is that ancestry has a lot of hiccups. And eventually a retry succeeds. I think a workaround for rootsmagic is to optionally allow enabling of a retry by making the message nonmodal and to retry around ancestry’s timeout hiccup. Then I don’t have to sit around to click to okay so many retries.

Blame rm8 since my ftm 2019 has no such problem up or down. Rm8 fails repeatedly despite dismissing error popups & returns unless file is tiny—10 people. 370 fails. Rm8 works wo media and your success rate may rise with a fast isp. Mine is only 15 mbs down…5 up.

Hello, I am unsure where to create a new post so I am just replying here in the hope that someone cane help me. I purchased RM9 yesterday and tried to download my tree from Ancestry and it gets to 56% then just comes up with an error saying its Ancestry fault that it can’t download. I am using RM9 for Mac and I have restarted the download each time to no avail, I have also restarted the Mac and again to no avail. I am getting sick of this already as this was the reason I bought RM9, FTM does not work consistantly and neither does RM9, I feel I have wasted my money…Need help urgently. Thank you.

1 Like

When you select the room in the upper right corner is a button “New Topic”. That will let you start a new post.

With the download issue its probably best to open a support ticket. Share the tree with editor permission with your support agent so they can test if they can download it.

https://support.rootsmagic.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you for your reply…I have created a ticket but also how do I share a Tree if I cannot download it in the first place?

Thank you

The Share option is on the Ancestry website in the Tree Settings.

Same exact problem . In addition, most of my media are not recognized. I have a call into tech support.

Hello, I relate to your issue. I hope things have gotten better for you. I just purchased RM9 due to a SYNC problem with FTM. I assumed it was due to my file - over 25,000 names and it has been a problem for a few years, but FTM has yet to fix the problem, though they are aware of it. I think the current problem is with Ancestry.com and not RM9. I am finding using FTM that it is not a recommended time due to repairs and actions by Ancestry.com. I understand this has been going on for a couple of months. You can check on FTM by attempting a download - it is currently orange rather than the optimal green time for downloads.