Colour Coding - only one colour per person?

Hi. I was watching a webinar about colour coding and it looks useful. However in use it seems quite limited. For example, I thought it would be really useful to colour code all those with military service, and also those who emmigrated. The problem is I have several individuals where both applies and one colour seems to overwrite another. So the problem arises I would need to remember everyone in all the groups so I didn’t apply colours that might cause a conflict with some. It would be great if the colour code bar could accept more than one colour.

It’s a good request, and a request that has been around for a really long time.

In the mean time, I have found that RM’s groups are a better way to indicate multiple conditions, such as one group for military service and another group for those who emigrated. I reserve color coding for short term projects.

Color coding is searchable and groups are not. So for example, you cannot search for descendants of John Doe who were born between 1850 and 1870 if the descendants of John Doe are a group. But you can search for descendants of John Doe who were born between 1850 and 1870 if the descendants of John Doe are all color coded the same color. That’s why I use color coding for short term projects.

1 Like

Thanks @thejerrybryan for your reply. Yes I set up groups for both of those conditions. It’s just that when I used to use Family Tree Maker (not anymore as I’m won over by RM8 :grinning:) it was quite helpful when scrolling through or viewing my tree to see certain colour codes for things such as this. So when I went to work on someone the colour was an instant visual reminder of important things about them. It did handle multiple colours for a person. No deal breaker though and groups work well.