Can I break up my tree into several separate trees?

My includes both my parents ancestors as well as my wife’s. My father’s family is having a reunion and I want to share my tree, but they do not need all of my tree just my father’s. Can I separate my tree into several trees?

Additionally, it’s best to make a copy of your database (with a different name, of course and work from that. Another consideration is unlinking a spouse or particular starting point/endpoint person (in the database copy) if the folks in their tree “direction” (ascending/descending) are not to be included.

I wonder if you really need or want to split up your database. I print reports for family reunions. The reports are specific to the particular family reunion I’m attending. I can produce such reports without splitting up my database.

On the other hand, you may be wishing to provide some sort of electronic data to the people at the reunion. For example, you could give everybody a CD or a DVD or a flash drive. Do you really want to give the data to everybody in the format of an RM database? Possibly you do, in which case you would need to split up your RM database. But instead, you could create PDF reports which you store on CD or DVD or a flash drive. In that case, you would not need to split up your RM database.

I have requests for a gedcom of my father’s tree.

In that case, you don’t need to split your database. Just create a GEDCOM that only includes your father’s tree.

The process of creating a GEDCOM allows you go select the individuals to be included in the GEDCOM. For example, you could include your father and all his ancestors. Or you could include your father, his ancestors, and all the descendants of those ancestors. The second approach would include all your various cousins. Depending on exactly who you want in the GEDCOM, you might wish to change the number of generations included. You do not have to select the people one at a time. You can select things like “all the ancestors” or “all the ancestors and the descendants of those ancestors”, all in one go.

In the case that you really did need to split your RM database (which you don’t), the selections that are available to you would be identical. So it’s no harder or easier to make a GEDCOM with selected people than it is to select people to go into the various pieces of a split database.

It can be helpful to make a group or color code the people you wish to include in the GEDCOM prior to actually making the GEDCOM. You don’t have to do it that way because you can make the selection as you are making the GEDCOM. But if you make a group or color code the people you wish to include in the GEDCOM prior to making the GEDCOM, it makes it much easier to verify that you have selected the correct people. So you can make a group or color code based on people being in your father’s family. Verify you have chosen the correct people. Then make the GEDCOM based on the group or color coding. You would not have to select your father’s family a second time as you were making the GEDCOM.

Great! Thanks so much!

I found you can only pick people you cannot specify ancestors or descendents of ancestors or how many generations. I have RM9, so did they change something?

Not Jerry and I am sure he will reply with a lot more info BUT when making a gedcom and you come to this page

CLICK ON MARK AND A DROP DOWN MENU APPEARS WHERE YOU HAVE MANY OPTIONS

You will have to HIGHLIGHT/ CHECKMARK THE PERSON FIRST before CLICKING ON MARK
and may have to go in several times-- picking ancestors 1st then select and going back to get descendants select etc

Everything about marking and unmarking descendants and ancestors that was in RM7 is still available in RM9. Follow the directions from nkess. To get into the RootsMagic Explorer screen from the GEDCOM dialog in the first place, click on the Select From List option and then follow nkess’s directions.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. I have had RM since 6 but never attempted to export a GEDCOM, so now I know!