Split tree into one tree for paternal side and one tree for maternal side

Hi, I’m new to using RootsMagic and RootsMagic 9. I’m not sure if this has been asked, but is there a way to split my tree into one tree for my maternal side and another tree for my paternal side? And, if so, how would I go about doing this?

I don’t know anything about my father’s side of the family because I never met him or anyone from that side. I’d like to work on my mom’s side of the family only.

Thanks

Open your main database. Then go to File>Create New database>Empty file. Select where you want to save it and give it a name. Now you will have 2 databases open. In the main one, highlight your father and drag him to the new database. A menu will pop up and you can select Ancestors & their descendants. Those people will now be in the new database. Create a database for you mom & repeat these steps for your mother. You will end up with 3 databases.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for the information! Another question, how do you open both databases to drag the father to the other one? I have the main one open and am trying to open the empty one, but it’s not opening for some reason.

Thanks!

I figured it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes