Access to Ancestry hints

I am new to Roots Magic. Why don’t I get Ancestry hints on the lite bulb. Only get Family search, My Heritage, Find my Past and Family search. I am signed in to Ancestry. I get the comparison chart showing RM file next to Ancestry file. Do I have to go to my page on Ancestry via RM and go to profile and click on the leaf that way??? Also if I save something to Ancestry in my RM tree how do I get it to Synch back to RM data base on my computer. I am very familiar with FTM and synching with Ancestry and Family Search. Thank you for any help

It sounds like you are accessing Ancestry through TreeShare where you can transfer updates between your RM file and the Ancestry tree. You won’t see the hints here. However, after having logged in, you should see Ancestry hints in the yellow lightbulb where the hints from the other providers show.

Thank you.

I am accessing Ancestry thru Roots Magic, However all of a sudden the Ancestry links are showing up in the lite bulb. I loaded the program at 930 last night and could not get Ancestry hints but now they are there
Maybe took awhile to load?

I am finding my way around in RM8. Cleaning up the Problem alerts.

Alaine is correct.

I started this post earlier today, but had no remaining forum ‘credits’ to publish it.

The RM WebHints for Ancestry can be accessed by the WebHint icon in any main tab view of RM 7 or RM 8. However the RM WebHints and TreeShare in RM 7 is currently not working due to an Ancestry programming change at the end of September 2021.

These RM 7 or RM 8 WebHints are exactly the same as the Ancestry Hints in the online Ancestry tree. If one has cleared all those Ancestry Hints in the family one is looking at, then RM WebHints most likely will not indicate a WebHint to be reviewed in RM 8.

Once viewing the RM WebHints dialogue of a specific WebHint provider one can Accept the Hint in general (to clear/turn the “?” to a check mark in the RM WebHint type row in upper left side). This “Accept” button does not transfer any data, sources , nor images.

To transfer data one must select any data row of information in the compare section* to transfer from the WebHint transcribed text into the RM Person Record and then use the “Accept changes” button below the compare section (which only appears if one actually transfers data) .

*This works the same even if all data is already entered in RM. One MUST transfer as new or update the data.

Neither of these actions in RM clear the online Ancestry Hint when viewed online in the Person Card of the Ancestry tree. Accepting the online Ancestry hint while online also does nothing with regards to data transfer into RM.

If the Ancestry tree or a Person Card in it is not producing Hints, then yes one needs to visit the Ancestry tree and look at Person Cards which might have Ancestry Hints produced online. Once these start appearing in the online tree, one can then go back into the RM database and work those as RM WebHints. This may take overnight to generate Hints or WebHints.

Note that each WebHint provider has a more or less unique WebHint interface with RM and may work differently. For example a FS WebHint can only be accepted online and only transfer text data of the transcription onto a FSID, then one can use the FS Person Tools to Import the discoveries of that text transcription into RM and separately the Source and independent of RM the Media file (if any).

RM WebHints for Ancestry allows one to transfer the transcribed text, Source Citation, & Media when Accepted by the correct “Accept” Button directly into a RM Person Record.

In RM 7 & RM 8 one can see the WebHint transcribed data even though not a subscribing member. The Ancestry Source Citation is rather generic. The Media transferred in is just simple Media. That is it is not the nice Indexed view one has as a paid subscribing Ancestry member.

Modifying the Ancestry Source Citation or the Media file name transferred will cause TreeShare to see a difference and almost certainly will cause the count of these in the TreeShare compare dialogue to get out of whack.

Thank you.

I am accessing Ancestry thru Roots Magic, However all of a sudden the Ancestry links are showing up in the lite bulb. I loaded the program at 930 last night and could not get Ancestry hints but now they are there
Maybe took awhile to load?

I am finding my way around in RM8. Cleaning up the Problem alerts.