Web Hints Do Nothing When I Select Them

The Person view in RootsMagic 8 has the lightbulb icons for web hints and, when I hover over them, tell me how many web hints there are, but, when I click on them, nothing happens. Is this a forthcoming feature, or is there a setting (other than my entering my usernames and passwords for FamilySearch, Ancestry, FindMyPast, and MyHeritage) I need to set?

I believe the issue is there are two clicks necessary. First you click and see which web hints are there, then you need to click on the line (Ancestry, MyHeritage, Family Search), etc, to bring ups the list of hints. Personally I think double clicking should bring up the list, but maybe that’s just me.

No, didn’t work

Joseph R. Harris, Jr., Ph.D.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.13.26 AM
I’m using RM8 on a Mac. When I hover over the group of 4 small symbols, this gray box comes up, showing me how many web hints, problem alerts, family search ID, and LDS ordinances (because I’ve enabled that in my program).
I then have to click on the line that says WebHints: 6, rather than clicking again on the group of 4 small symbols.
Not sure if this is what’s going on with yours, or some other problem.

I am having the same problem as you. When I click on the webhints icon in the dropdown that Helen shows above, the dropdown box goes away but no webhints open. Did you ever find a solution?

The same thing happens when I click on the webhints icon in the dropdown. The dropdown box goes away but no webhints open. I’m beginning to lose my patience with RootsMagic. I am using Windows 10 with plenty of hard drive space and 16gb RAM, so hardware should not be a problem.

BTW, thank you for letting me know it’s not just me. I’m sorry you are going through this frustration too. I’m sorely tempted to just move over to Legacy if RM can’t fix this.

I have a support ticket in with Roots Magic tech support for this issue. I’ll let you know if I get any info on how to fix it. I watched their Zoom meeting today and they mentioned there that it may take a while to get through their current support tickets. So, I’m being patient and giving them a chance to get back with me.

1 Like

I have a support ticket as well.

I have the same problem of being unable to access my webhints from that menu. Have any of you had successful help from tech support tickets?

I received a reply that they are aware of the problem with some computers and are awaiting a developer tool to correct it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for giving me this info. I will be patient.

Here is the message I received on 10/21/21 from technical support.

Terri,

Development has been able to duplicate this on one of their computers. They are looking into the issue to determine what is causing it on certain computers. I believe they said it has something to do with the highlight appearing on the drop down list, its only effecting the first option in the list. That is why it loses focus. I cannot say when we will have a resolution but apply updates as they become available.

Sincerely,

Renee
RootsMagic, Inc.

1 Like

Thank you.

Delighted to see they have identified the problem and been able to replicate my inability to access WebHints.

Particularly that it is indeed related to the factor I suspected - of non-access to the top line of dropdown menu lists generally. It happens for me in Places, Gender & Person Search Advanced too. Await resolution.

I’ve had the same problem with changing the color scheme. I changed it from green and can’t go back. I, too, am happy they can duplicate the problem. Hopefully a fix will come soon. It’s interesting because I don’t have the same problem on my iMac, only my Dell laptop.

1 Like

I am running RM8 on a Dell laptop as well.

1 Like

My web hints are non-functional. Also, when searching and finding a record such as Find-A-Grave, if the record contains a bio, I can’t open it up. I have used Family Tree Maker, for years, and think that it’s the best for searching and downloading every kind of record. Easy to use and has very few issues. I’m trying RM because of the data base features, but not going to give up Family Tree Maker any time soon.

I think that the best thing for searching is one’s brain. I don’t download anything though - everything is entered manually so I can’t comment on which is better.

Yes, at first I thought it was just the webhints, but now I am finding I can’t access any of the top line options in a drop down menu. I hope they get a resolution for this soon.