Unexpected Error when matching to FamilySearch

I was getting access violation errors frequently, as often as every few minutes, while doing various tasks in the RM program. I’m running Big Sur OS on an iMac. I finally went through all of the steps outlined by RootsMagic support for “cleaning up” the computer.

It took me about 2 days to go through it all, but I’ve used the program for about 2-3 hours today, and gotten only 1 access violation error, while linking people to Ancestry with TreeShare.

I had already run database tools, restarted computer, etc.
For the anti-virus program, I went with Kaspersky Internet Security 2021 for Mac. It took about an hour or so to run the ‘Quick Scan’, which didn’t find anything, and a good 12 hours to run the full scan. It found 5 items, none of which seemed major, but I went ahead and deleted those.

Restarted computer, then downloaded CCleaner for Mac (free version), and ran the “cleaner”, and deleted a lot of duplicate files I had accumulated.

Restarted computer again.
I did not run Malwarebytes, even though it is available for Mac, because I feel like the Kaspersky program already scanned for viruses, malware, etc. No need to duplicate that.

We’ll see how long this helps! But so far, I notice a definite improvement.

1 Like