Roots 7 searching all the computer all drives

With Roots 7 when I started up it would do a Whole computer search for all my roots files, but this does not happen with roots 8 is there a way to do this. roots 8 only seems to look for roots 8 files not, any roots 7 files. I have a number of files made with Roots 7 and would like open all .

RootsMagic 7 and RootsMagic 8 have different file extensions so I suppose RM 8 is only looking for files with a .rmtree extension. Are you sure that RM7 looks for files that have the file extension that was used prior to .rmgc? Was it .rm3 I can’t remember. Mention of Roots brings back memories of the Roots program that died many years ago!

Peter, did you upgrade to v 8.0.1? That upgrade made it easier to find the RM7 files to be imported. Now when I choose “Open a RM8 file” the search also finds the .rmgc file.

I have had RM8 for a week and am no nearer to transferring my RM7 to it. It now searches for the old format but crashes with a message to send back to the developers. Hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Hi @peter - I might be misunderstanding but did you know that when either importing a file from RM7, or opening an existing RM8 file, you can also use the “browse for file” option located at the bottom of each of these screens. This will then open Explorer and you can manually point the program to the file you’d like to open. Handy if the program is not identifying all of the files that you have and might want to open.

Thank you I will give that a try

Thank you I have not done that yet . I will give it a try after update.

I have come to the Mountain seeking knowledge.
Good morning to all.
When I load Roots Magic 8 I have three options under the heading of:
“Open an existing Roots Magic File”.
“Which File do you wish to open”
“Recent Files” or “Found Files” or “Browse for File”
The Program spends some time searching and creating a List. of Files I may wish to load and use.
Is there a setting somewhere I can toggle off so that it cuts straight to “Browse for a File”.
Currently the Program searches for and creates a list of all of the “.rmtrees” I have ever created (lots) - it seems they are stuck in memory somewhere and I have to right click and delete the ones that no longer exist…
I just want the one I want to use at that time.

No. The reason there isn’t… it’s because RootsMagic does two things immediately

1. Instantly lists (under Found section) EVERY .rmtree file name from your Folder Settings->Data Folder THAT IS NOT ALREADY LISTED IN THE RECENT LIST

2. Starts that background search (that you see as greyed out path searching) in search of EVERY OTHER .rmtree file name THAT IS NOT ALREADY LISTED IN THE RECENT LIST -or- the Found section.

Thus there’s no need to cut straight to “Browse for a File”. There should be no other files to browse for! EDIT1: Of course, removable media would ideally be loaded and mounted if usage there exists.
EDIT2: Regardless of activity and listed file names on the Open existing screen, the Browse for File button works immediately as fast as you can get to it and click it.

Any .rmtree file listed in the Recent Files list that no longer exists… can be removed from the list by merely clicking to open and getting the file does not exist message. Then it’s gone from listing. The ONLY reason you would even have those listed is if you failed to use RootsMagic database delete function and instead just deleted them outside of the program’s control.

But if your paths are correct iaw your Folder Settings eg. c:\documents\rootsmagic8\data, why would RM need to search your whole HDD/External Drives etc? Surely you would only need access to the Roots Magic Folder and sub-folders where ever it was and whether they were recent or last year?

You assume that everyone sets and uses those paths. There isn’t any need to do so. Regardless of the automatic searching bit, you can always click the Browse button and go where you need to go to find the file. It isn’t like you are stuck waiting for the scan to complete.

I assume nothing, especially in the field of genealogy, different strokes for different folks

1 Like

@Quinnedy --are you using a Mac or Windows-- there was another thread recently

where basically they said that on a Mac the search was automatic and it took a while to search the entire computer–it is also automatic on Windows but as soon as I click on OPEN A FILE , all of my database for Rm 9, Rm 8 and RM 7 are there–it does NOT show my gedcoms…

Other option is to change your settings to open the last database used BUT don’t know if you then tried to open an additional database, it would default to searching the whole computer-- maybe you should try opening all the databases you are currently interested in to get them into your recent files…

Well, not exactly, certainly on a Mac. The automatic searching consumes so much CPU that the browse process is so slow and error prone as to be almost unusable. RM registers selections so slowly that one tends to select the wrong item in working down the hierarchy as the display and the keyboard are so out of step that you essentially have to wait for the search to complete or suffer a very frustrating series of undesired selections.

1 Like

I have settled for right clicking on the list of Roots Magic’s Data Files in the Roots Magic Folder.
It boots to open Roots Magic and opens the required file. I did not think it was such a big to do.
I have hundreds of genealogy files which I research, split, merge, break down in Excel and enjoy.
It seems that most just focus on one tree and focus on Roots Magic. I like to wring the most enjoyment out of genealogy - as well as the ancestry of the discipline - why? … because I like … no … I love … statistics.
What ever floats your boat - some people love golf … I love to wring every syllable out of what I have being doing for the past forty years …
Roots Magic is only one genealogy program, and not a good one at that … my query has been solved.
Thank you everyone who contributed … I think the subject is closed.

1 Like