RM9 perfect so far … except

I can’t use keyboard shortcuts at all. Meaning, control-v, control-a, etc. are inert. Is that a system setting? Or a RM9 setting? It work just fine in RM8. ANyone else having this issue?

1 Like

You beat me to it. Got the same problem :unamused:

Confirming issue has been reported to development.

Renee, please add to the RM9 List to-be-fixed the function keys. F1 for help, F2 for Command Palette, F5 for switch databases are an ingrained habit. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to work without the keyboard shortcuts in the Editor and Citations … totally frustrating and absolutely annoying. Good to see issue reported to support. Hope it is corrected soon.

1 Like

Yup, same here. Just noticed this omission this morning while entering new people. I now have gotten used to right clicking the mouse instead…

The function keys issue started in RM8. It’s a bug in the latest development tools. We have reported it to them.

I also have been having the same issue. I did discover that it seems to be in some fields and not in others. Last night when I started to work on my file in 9 for the first time I discovered it in the sourcing section, I often use Ctrl C & Ctrl V to copy and paste. I could not use it in the Citation Name or the Page Number, but when I went to Comments, what I had copied to my clipboard went into the comment section just fine. This means that it is not the entire program, but in some sections. I stopped working as it is too cumbersome to retype all the information when I am sourcing. Hopefully this will give them a place to look if they can not find it right off.

Unfortunately, I was a dummy and in the process, I did not make a current backup of the file that was open at the time I upgraded. Now the file is not usable in 8. I can’t work in the file until this is fixed. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Amy-- you still can open your file in RM 8 as long as you had any backup of the file before opening it in RM 9–

1st makes sure your settings in RM 9 look like this ( or someplace different than your RM8 file)

Then open the backup file for RM 9— and close it again creating a new back up–it also creates a rmtree of your file in RM 9 instead of just the backup files in RM9…
then open RM8 and open the last backup file that you have USING THE RESTORE FROM BACKUP---- it will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing tree–say yes and hopefully you won’t have lost too much work-- if everything is pretty much okay in this NEW RM 8 file,when you close RM8–hit backup and it will update both the tree and the back-up-- IF however everything is NOT CORRECT, then DO NOT BACK IT UP…

However if your last backup on RM 8 was quite a while ago and you will lose quite a bit of data doing it this way, then export a gedcom of the RM9 file–save it to your desktop and import it into RM8 by using CREATE A NEW RM FILE AND GEDCOM–( you will have to use browse for file at the bottom of the page)

and YES you MIGHT lose some info ( I never have any problems with this) BUT better to lose a little info then to lose a lot of info or be stuck not being able to do anything at all…

btw-- IF you do a gedcom, rename the file Jacobs 4–New Jacobs file etc…

Nkess, Yes, thank you for the suggestion. Luckily I thought about that after my post and was not too far off before a backup was made. I found that I had backed up 2 nights before and only had two nights’ work that I need to go and enter into RM8. I have not done it yet as I started working on something else, but I will have to go back and enter all that I had done since the last backup. I was hoping maybe I could drag and drop between the two versions but not so. I will have to enter the information into 8 manually so that I can continue researching until the matter gets fixed. I am SO HAPPY I had backed up that close to my eager fingers hitting the convert button!!

Amy-- if you restore your backup from 8 and then make a gedcom of the RM 9 file, you MIGHT be able to drag and drop because opening the gedcom in RM 8 just makes a new RM8 file–just be sure to
RENAME THE GEDCOM-- if the drag and drop works or doesn’t–all you have to do is delete the gedcom and whichever RM 8 file you don’t want ( or keep both)…

Someone replied on another thread that Ctrl-Insert works for Copy and Shift-Insert works for Paste. It’s not an ideal situation but at least it works. All the Ctrl- short cuts work in the Notes fields, at least they do for me.

mrman23 thanks for the tip, it does work!! That will get me going again until they make a fix.

Nkess Great information. I wish I had seen it earlier. I went back and re-entered the information that I had entered into the db before I upgraded. It took me awhile but I got it done. I didn’t even think of being able to drag and drop by doing that. Thanks, for the great solution and I hope it may help someone else in my position!

1 Like

WOOHOO!!! The new update restores the CTRL-C, etc, function. I’m a happy camper now. Thanks for the quick fix.

1 Like