RM8 task list doesn't include the name of the person the task is for?

I’m still finding my way around RM8. Today I wanted to create a task list for a specific repository as I wanted to see how much research I’d need to do and book my time accordingly.

After stumbling around a bit, I figured out how to use filtering to select the repository, but names don’t show up on the report like they did in RM7 making the report next to worthless.

Is this a bug or a feature?

1 Like

Bruce answered this last night on Facebook and his response was not what I would call sound reasoning. His statement was something to the effect that since Tasks, unlike RM7 ToDo items, could be attached to multiple people, sources, places etc.

I questioned why it would have been a problem to append a name on RM7 file imports at the very least. Of course no response to that as of yet.

2 Likes

In the Tasks tab, click on your To-Do in the middle column, look to the right-hand column “Edit Tasks” and find in the Task items box the count of used. Opening that will show who is assigned to that task.

Tasks are set up different in RM8 and can be attached to multiple people. The folders help to keep the tasks organized.

…and did you bother to count how many clicks and how much mucking about it took to accomplish that? Sure, it can be figured out but it didn’t need to be. If the tasks were name in a smarter manner, then one could spend their time attaching tasks and editing the names as needed. However I am guessing about 3/4’s of the tasks out there really don’t need editing other than changing their names to make them useful without all the clicking.

Yes, it is “clicky” and currently not reportable. But we do know that custom reports are coming, and I would bet, report refinements are too. RM8 was built with more flexibility. There are many different ways of using the Tasks now and that’s a good thing, in my opinion.

Thanks for the answer. I’m a little disappointed because it will be a lot of work to make the list of use in planning a research trip. I’m sure I’ll find a rhythm to avoid rework but for now it’s daunting to think of the number of tasks I need to change.

Not saying it isn’t a good thing, only that they pooched the screw in how they handled the import. It is causing many hours and many headaches for many people.

Software update 8.1.7. New: Task List report can optionally print all people using each task.

If task has been assigned to a person, then the task list report now shows the person. However, if the task has been allocated to a family, then no “People” are shown.

I have a Tasks a list with over 400 tasks that I want to get rid of. Its just a work to delete one after one. An option to delete all or marked would be great.
To me it looks like nothing is working at this side. When I click at a task, noting special happens at the Edit Task, I do not get the person up to edit.

On the Edit Task panel click on Used to see who is associated with that Task. You can only add or delete a Task Link there. To open the Edit Person screen go to the People page to locate them and open it there.

If you want to remove all Task you can strip them out in a GEDCOM export. Go to File, Export Data, GEDCOM File, select the folder and GEDCOM name. Then make sure Tasks are unchecked when creating the GEDCOM. You will need to import it into a new blank database.

1 Like

Dear Renee

See the screen dump below. Where ever I click, nothing happens besides the Name changes.

Click on Used to see if the person it is linked to is different. The ages are not all the same so they should be different. Once you find out who it is linked to you can modify the Task Name.

Sorry, nothing else happens when clicking in the Used column. No Person names come up. As my Tasks are back to 2016 could it have something to do with RM7 and RM8?

No, importing To-Do items from RM7 will work as Tasks in RM8. Open a support ticket with a backup of your database so we can test it.
https://support.rootsmagic.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Don’t click in the ‘Used’ column, click ‘Used’ in the right hand pane, under the Task Items section… The column does nothing.

As a new user, I am disappointed to find that the Task does not automatically insert the name of the person it is linked to into the Name field, and also that you can’t click on the person’s name in the Edit Task screen and go to that person’s record. I see that you can filter by names to print a report (although that didn’t work too well for me), but that isn’t helpful when just looking at the task list.

Generally, though, I’m finding the software to be pretty customizable and generally able to do anything I’d like it to do.

1 Like

After poking around and forgetting what I need to do, to edit a person from the Task list:
Click on the task, then on the right side and click on the Edit Task Used > arrow. That brings up the Person.
Then click on the pencil icon at the top of the pane to edit that person. That brings up the person edit screen.

I also wish the task list showed the person it was associated to. I put the person’s name in the task name so I can tell. Without that, the list is useless. This doesn’t help with old imorted tasks.

Perhaps creating a task folder for the repository and including relevant tasks in that folder (as well as elsewhere) would help.
When at the repository open the folder and you have a list of tasks to guide you. When no longer needed there tasks can be removed from the repository folder to update the list.