RM Data access slowdowns on NAS

Hello,
I still have big slowdowns on data access (RM7 or RM8) on a NAS.
On a new computer no difference. I point out that I have no problem accessing files on the NAS with a file manager or with a database (Access) and I used RM tools wich does’nt display error message.
Shouldn’t we consider that there is a problem with RM’s access modes to the data on a network (ex. waiting time, loading images and data et the same time,…)?
Thanks’s for your help.

I am going to venture a guess here, but RM was designed to access a database file on the local machine, the same one where RM is running, or at least a drive directly attached to said machine. If you have elected to access your database from the network, then that is your issue to sort.

Have you tried testing with your data file on the same machine as RM?

Is your pc accessing the NAS via WiFi, or are you hardwired to it? Are your network switches and all of your NICs all 1GB?
RM is doing a ton more disk read/writes than a file manager. I can’t speak for your Access application.

Hello again,

I tested the data locally and it works after resynchronizing the images with the data.
Isn’t there a way to improve the data management on the network (at least on a local network), because it is a necessary comfort of use when we often change of computer (we handle the same data which limits the risks related to the unfortunate recopies) . It is therefore for me a necessity.
1 - Have the RM developers programmed an improvement of this nature? We can accept slowdowns at the first loading but not continuously.
2- What is the workaround or the recommended procedure to make the transfer and/or synchronization procedure simple? The data file contains the file paths that must be modified each time you change computer, if you cannot use the files on the network.

I access the NAS via WiFi on my laptop, or hardwired workstation. I could say that wifi is worse.
No idea about switches. How could do that ?

Well, WiFi is probably always going to be slower than hard-wired. Your switches should have a model number or description that includes “gigabit” or “100mb”. If you don’t have gigabit switches, Linksys and Netgear switches are fairly cheap and super reliable.
If you are using the router your internet service provider gave you to connect hard-wire, make sure the wired portion is gigabit.
I would guess that your pc is fairly new so your onboard network cards should be gigabit. If not you can get a gigabit network card that plugs into a usb port. My wife got one of those and it helped her speed a lot.
Finally, download okla speedtest. It’s free and will test your internet speed. I know that your NAS is on your inhouse network, but you can use Speedtest on both a wired and a WiFi connection to see what difference the network connection makes.

Thank’s Rwcrooks,

I don’t think it’s coming from the ports. I have a recent netgear WFI router: 5 10/100/1000 Mbps ports-(1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports.
I am more and more convinced that it could be the communication protocol used in RM and the way the buffer is handled for input/output.

This is an underlying limitation of the SQLite database engine used in RM4-8. RM developers can do nothing about it. Sqlite is designed to work with local drives, not networked drives. See
https://www.sqlite.org/draft/useovernet.html

If you are gigabit from start to finish, it’s probably RM, which doesn’t surprise me. I think that Bruce has bitten off more than he can chew with RM8. It was released in an unfinished, incomplete state 7 months ago and they’ve been chasing bugs ever since.

I am in the process of moving to Family Historian 7. It appears to be aimed at serious genealogists, not name collectors who think research is downloading from Ancestry.

Rich

It isn’t actually Rootsmagic. It is a SQLite issue. SQLite is not built to be a network database.

1 Like