People list starting with given name

I am highly missing a searchable list of the given names. Should be easy to have as an option at the People list. Agree?

1 Like

If you enter comma>space>given name you will get a list of all the people with such given name. Is this what you are looking for or am I misunderstanding?

2 Likes

If you want a list of all your given names you could create a custom report with just Given Name(s). Save it to Excel (.xlsx) and sort on it.

1 Like

Try “,given name” without the quotes ("") in the search box. The leading comma indicates that their is no last name.

1 Like

Renee,

What is wrong?

Did you define the Header and Data rows for the report?
http://wiki.rootsmagic.com/wiki/RootsMagic_8:Custom_Reports

Looks like I have done as the wiki tells.

Go to Reports → All Reports and Charts → Custom Report → On the Report Line, click the > next to ‘Create or select report’. Select whatever you named your report and click the Edit button. Grab a screenshot of that window and post it please.

It should look something like this:

For given names only select this.

Thanks for the posts and the link to http://wiki.rootsmagic.com/wiki/RootsMagic_8:Custom_Reports

I did it with a simple Given names list which in another program must be sorted alphabetically.

It took less than two minutes, and a list of 4,585 pages in A4 format came out. My base is about 233,000.

However, I see that taking out a list of only Given names is not very useful. I believe that where one should extract details that apply to all or almost all, Custom Report is of little use. It’s getting too heavy.

As I started this thread, it is desirable to have the opportunity to get a column on the People Report page, then sorted by first name. Then you will get the most important event automatically. Given names are separated by commas, so it should not be so difficult to program this.

“Why make it difficult when one can make it easy” is a saying.

I am not certain as to exactly what you are asking for here. If it is what I think it is, then you can already do it. That is, you can create a report with something like ‘Name - Surname, Given’, ‘Birth date’, and ‘Birth place’ and sort it by only the given name. Why one would want to do that, I don’t know, but they could if they wished.

Kfunk:

You have copied some of what I wrote but left out the essentials. It is about why start making a separate report when one could easily get a column on the People List on Given names. If you look there, there is a Customize button at the top right. There you will find a whole bunch of different columns you can put on.

I didn’t leave anything out. You need to be more clear in what you are talking about. You are referring to Custom Reports, and even adding pictures of them to your post and then you bring up the ‘Customize’ button. The ‘Customize’ button is on the People List which is on the People menu. Custom reports are on the Publish menu. Two completely separate items that you seem to be confusing.

Kfunk:

If you go back to the start of this thread you will find that I wrote:

“Thanks for the posts and the link to http://wiki.rootsmagic.com/wiki/RootsMagic_8:Custom_Reports

I did it with a simple Given names list which in another program must be sorted alphabetically.

It took less than two minutes, and a list of 4,585 pages in A4 format came out. My base is about 233,000.

However, I see that taking out a list of only Given names is not very useful. I believe that where one should extract details that apply to all or almost all, Custom Report is of little use. It’s getting too heavy.

As I started this thread, it is desirable to have the opportunity to get a column on the People Report page, then sorted by first name. Then you will get the most important event automatically. Given names are separated by commas, so it should not be so difficult to program this.

“Why make it difficult when one can make it easy” is a saying.”

I am a Norwegian and maybe my explanation was not perfect.

This is the end of this discussion.

I have read the posts from the beginning and the explanations make absolutely no sense at all, and they make no more sense by you repeating them yet again.

You said “Then you will get the most important event automatically. Given names are separated by commas, so it should not be so difficult to program this.”

So what is the “most important event”? Your idea of an important event may vary greatly from mine.

Then you go on about given names being comma separated so something should not be too hard to program? It has already been programmed, of course it is not too hard. Then you go into the Customize button, which has absolutely nothing to do with the custom reports, the help link which you have reposted several times.

Regrettably this is a predominately English speaking board and as such, you are likely to get some crazy answers if you can’t express your question for whatever reason.