Is there an option to import RM 8 files into RM 10?

For importing RM files, there is only an option to import RM 1-7 but not version 8. Am I seeing that correctly? If so, how would I import a file from RM 8 ?

Thank you.

Use File > Open. The RM8 .rmtree file will be upgraded to be a RM10 .rmtree file which can no longer be opened by RM8.

Thank you for your reply! I installed RM10 without overriding RM8. Would importing a GEDcom file from RM8 to RM10 be a viable option to work with my family tree on RM10 without any impact to my RM8 database? (I have a very stable database on RM8 that is effortless to use and do not want to eliminate the file on RM8 until I am comfortable with using RM10.) Thank you!

yes but you will lose info from RM8 version if done via RM8
Copy anyRM8 (or RM9 version ) to a new RM10 folder.
Also Copy or move Rm8 version to RM8 folder.(Same with RM9 if applicable)
Make sure you open the Rm8./Rm9 versions from the (new) RM10 Folder-- once its converts you can NOT revert the file backwards.
However, your copies in the other folder will not be impacted (you can continue to work on them in RM8 etc).

There are many things lost if done via the GEDCOM method.

1 Like

Wow, thank you for explaining that important information and for the helpful advice!!

I also would rename my RM8 base after I copied it to a different folder and before I opened in RM10. You don’t want to do anything that’s confusing and that might cause you to open your real RM8 database in RM10 by accident.

I changed the Display Settings Color to Purple for RM10 and left Green for earlier versions.

Such great advice! Thank you!