I am a new RootsMagic 9 user. I want to delete everything I have so far and start fresh

I just want to clear everything that is on my RootsMagic 9. I have tried to search an answer on Google, but I find nothing. Is there a simple explanation for performing this task?

Thank you for any help you can send my way.

Janis

I am also new to RootsMagic 9 but you could just click on File and then create an Empty File. Save file under a new name that is different from what you currently have.

3 Likes

Clarify what you mean. Search the manual or wiki not Google.

Uninstall RM9 completely to remove preference settings, etc.
Close an open file/database and delete it in Finder.
Unlink in settings an ancestry tree and delete it on ancestry.

Hi, Rooty ~
I have my problem solved. I do not need to delete everything. I am no longer as frustrated with this program as I was.
Thank you!
Janis

Iā€™m new to RM8 and want to tidy uploaded RM7 input errors. I have for instance a date where a place should be. How do I track down the Person Record where the error occurred?

Go to the places tab and highlight the place name that is a date. Look at ā€˜Edit Placeā€™ (column to the left of the screen), then to the section labeled ā€˜Place Itemsā€™, then ā€˜Eventsā€™. Here you should see a number, click on the arrow to open that field, The facts where that ā€œplaceā€ is used should slide in. Use the pencil button (Edit Item) to jump to the Edit Person screen where that date is used and correct it. When back to the Places tab, the Show Unused Places is in the Ellipsis shaped Option menu (3-dots) in the bar above the places.

1 Like

Thanks for this ā€“ it all looks pretty complicated to this 84 year old but grandchildren are on hand to help!

Regards

~WRD0001.jpg

2 Likes

In addition to suggestion by alainemk, one can:

Click Places in left menu.
Click three vertical dots to open a menu.
Choose Print places and Place list report settings screen opens.
Click line that reads Print All places and Place List screen print option menu opens. Change Print all places in database TO Print events in a single place

Thank you. Iā€™ve just learned that you had answered my question.
Richard

HI! I am Ann and new to the whole Genealogy field. I am looking forward to learning from you all.
I started a tree (just myself so far)----however, I have a ā€œcomplicatedā€ nameā€“birth name, parent divorce and remarriage with being adopted by step-dad. Then married then a legal first name change. My question isā€“how do I list my own name?? Birth name, or amended post-adoption birth certificate, or what?
I want it to be trackable and able to figure out by other researchers besides my own family (who knows it all already)

Thanks in advance for the input and help

Hi Ann

it basically all comes down to what you ultimate decide as we can only tell you want we think-- there is a fact called alternate name that I would use with dates for all the other options-- ā€“ some people like to include the married name as an alternate name-- I personally donā€™t do thatā€¦
my friend who was adopted at 1 month of age uses his adopted name and then uses his birth name as an alternative-- my Dadā€™s birth name was Clarence Allen but his parents always called him Allen-- after Dad got out of the service in WWII, he always went by Allen Clarence on any documents and the birth certificates of his last 4 kids except his death certificate is under Clarence Allen ( due to the VA)-- his marriage record and the 1st 2 kids all have Clarence Allen also-- for Dad I went with Allen Clarence as that was what he preferred to be called BUT have Clarence Allen alsoā€¦

personally I think I would use your birth name and then as I said go add all the other names as alternatives with dates UNLESS the adoption happened at a very early age like my friend and you never used the birth nameā€¦

1 Like

Thank you for the help! I think I was expecting that there were some ā€œrulesā€ or standard conventions/practices for how to do this. I will go with my amended birth name since thatā€™s what I grew up with----and then use the alternate names and notes to clarify the rest. That sounds like the best option.

1 Like