In my list of people I have

Forman Crawford-47
+Forman, Crawford-135
+Forman, Crawford-135
+Forman, Crawford-135
+Forman, Crawford-135
+Forman, Crawford Rendle-135
+Forman, Crawford Rendle-135

When I run Merge Duplicates, no duplicates are found.

Crawford Forman 47 is a different person from Crawford Forman 135 so would not be a duplicate. 135 are all the same.

What do I have to do to dedupe this list? What does the + symbol indicate?

I also see Facts repeated everywhere for nearly every person. Is this a conversion problem to version 8?

" +" sign means that there are alternate names entered. If you open up the edit screen for #47, scroll down and look for Alt Names, usually at the bottom of the fact list.

1 Like

The “+” symbol indicates an Alternate Name for the person. Click on the three dots in the top right corner of the People list and de-select “Show alternate names” to remove them from displaying as separate entries in the list. Before you do that you might want to use the list to do some cleanup since, from your example, it looks like the same name has been entered several times as an alternate.

1 Like

Edit Person 135 and you should see the primary name that is not in your screenshot and all the Alternate Names (+) listed. You will have to delete the redundant ones manually; there is no Merge Facts function. I suspect this multiplication is due to your repeated imports and auto-merging of the same person.

1 Like

Thank you for calling my attention to the Ellipsis menu showing the names toggle. I don’t know when I would have found it or realized what it was doing.

Thank you for stating that there is no “merge facts” function. I do best when there is an explicit explanation so that I’m not trying to find a nonexistent solution. The webinars and wiki don’t exactly help with this–what the merge functions do and don’t do in various situations.