How to correct multiple parents

I just purchased RM9 and still learning the most basic things. I need assistance in correcting errors in an individual’s parents. I have a family where the children have three sets of parents, but only one is correct. I have yet to figure out how to de-link the other two sets. I am certain there is a easy solution, but danged if I can find it through the help feature. I must be asking the wrong questions.

The key word is “unlink”.

There are several ways to do it. The easiest way is probably Right Click => Unlink From Parents.

However, there is a tricky aspect to the unlink. The main RM screens for displaying people such as Pedigree View and Family View will only display one set of parents for a person at a time. No matter how you initiate the Unlink, you first have to have the child displayed with the set of parents you wish to unlink.

To that end, highlight the person with multiple parents then click on the Parents tab in the upper portion of the left side bar. This will list all the sets of parents for the person. Click on the parents you wish to unlink and they will then be displayed as the person’s parents in the main screen. You can now do the Right Click and Unlink thing.

If you don’ like Right Click, you can also click on the Edit Icon in the upper right hand portion of the main screen and choose the Unlink option. The Edit icon is the one that looks like a pencil or a crayon.

2 Likes

Just joined the Forum, and have mostly same problem (only 2 sets of parents), but using RM7, not 9.

Late at night, getting drowsy, I accidentally linked one person with her maternal grandparents. She was already linked to her correct parents. I had imported a gedcom from Ancestry, and there were a number of people that needed to be linked back in, and I groggily chose the wrong ones.

Can’t figure out how to unlink in 7.

Only place I see 2nd set of parents is on her Edit Person page. If I look at her Family page, only the correct parents show. If I look at the grandparents’ Family page, she does not show up as a child.

Highlighting her on the Pedigree view, I clicked to Family in the LH border box, but cannot highlight a PAIR of the parents, only one, and then can’t do anything anywhere with that highlighting. If I highlight HER in that box, under the incorrect parents, and go to top tabs Edit>Unlink, it wants to unlink her from her correct parents, not the wrong ones

Any suggestions?

It’s best to do this in Family View.

Click on Parents in the upper left hand corner of the screen. There is an option to click on Spouses or to click on Parents. The feature is hiding in plain sight and you don’t have to do anything to make the feature appear… So click on the Parents option. There will be a drop down box with both sets of parents. Choose the “wrong” parents, the one you want to unlink from.

Highlight the person with the “wrong” parents. Unlink => From Parents in the drop down box. The “wrong” parents should now be unlinked and the correct parents will now appear instead for that person in Family View.

Display the incorrect set of parents in the Family View. When you highlight the person the info box at the top left has a Parents button. It should show two sets. Select which set you want to display. Right click on the child and select Unlink, from parents.

Worked perfectly.

Thanks so much for your help all.

Merry Christmas!