Convert new file extension. rmtree

How to change RM extension to .rmtree

If you are using RM7, you don’t change it. You import the RM 7 database into RM9 which will convert and open the file. If you have something such as a .rmgb file, or .rmbackup, those need to be restored from within the RM program.

1 Like

Sorry I am not clear with my question. I have RM9 that was imported from RM7 but I can’t do a backup. Seems I should change the extension.

Firstly, it’s important to understand that both for RM7 and RM9… a backup file is REALLY just a .ZIP archive file with the database file squished inside it. For RM7 the backup filename extension is .RMGB and for RM9 the backup filename extension is .RMBACKUP and one CANNOT just change filename extensions. Doing a backup from within the RM9(orRM7) program squishes the database into that .ZIP archive file format with those particular filename extensions, in lieu of using .ZIP for the extension.

If, instead, you mean that when running RM9, you try File->Backup and it gives you an error… what is the error message displayed? Where are you trying to save the backup to? For example, what have you entered here:

​

Thu 2024-05-16 2:30 PM

Thank you for your reply!

When running RM I do File- Backup, when I click the backup I get the following,

“An error was encountered opening this Database:”

e:rw backup (2024-05-16) i.DBF was not found

Do you mean …from outside of RootsMagic? Like, from Windows File Explorer?
RootsMagic backup files such as MyDatabase.rmbackup are made to be opened from within the program itself via File → Restore from Backup.

You ~can~ open MyDatabase.rmbackup with an archiver/unarchiver like WinZip, 7Zip, WinRAR, PeaZip, etc. and then “extract” the MyDatabase.rmtree file to a location.

I think I am on a wild goose chase here. I had RM7 on a previous computer that I was having problems with, and getting a message saying “No boot disk detected or disk failed”. Not sure if it is worth repairing the old computer so I can import to the new comp.?

Do you only have one backup that is on the hard drive of the old computer? If you have a good backup file you can access, install RM7 on the new computer, then put in your old registration number. Then from the File menu on RM7 on the new computer, RESTORE the backup.

I guess the major issue is – do you have a backup that you can put on a flash drive or other device so that you can restore to the new computer.

some of the new computers offer a way to migrate your files from the old computer to the new…

If you have some computer know how, google can I still access my files in the computer when it says “No boot disk detected or disk failed”– you will get many hits on not only how you MIGHT be able to salvage your computer BUT also MAYBE save your files— If this is beyond what you feel comfortable with, perhaps call a local guy or a chain store who specializes in computer repairs…

Screenshot_18-5-2024_125715_community.rootsmagic.com

This is confusing for those trying to help. e: in the above message often indicates the drive letter for an external storage media (pluggable USB hard drive, thumb drive, SD card, etc. so, IS that where you have these problem file/files stored?

Also, .DBF as mentioned in the error are a filetype that RootsMagic used way back in earlier versions of RootsMagic before 2009. You’ve mentioned using RM9 to bring in your data from RM7, but were you a user of those early versions of RootsMagic? Could this file be a backup from those earlier versions? Can you share the(se) “problem” files?

My backup goes back to 2013 and I believe I deleted some from earlier than that. All on the same external backup.

So since this is a backup that seems to be from R6, it should open in RM 9–when you tried to open it, did you use RESTORE FROM BACKUP and then use BROWSE TO FILE at bottom of page to point to your e drive…

If so, have you tried saving the file to the desktop and try the above from there? Or if you have more than 1 backup, have you tried a different one just in case that one is corrupt?

Thank You! I think that you have found the answer, but I don’t know howe to save to desktop.

SORRY @Oldguy but that is above my pay grade-- the last time I restored a backup for something else, it was probably on a floppy and many versions of Windows ago ( guess I’ve been lucky)-- BUT think it should be possible since everybody always says MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR FILES-- a lot of people use a cloud service BUT others have said they have backups of their files stored at sis’s house, in their glove box, safe deposit box etc…

So any of you computer experts out there that can tell us how to do this???

When you do the Backup … change the Location when you want to save it.

backup desktop 2

1 Like

Thanks @MadDog

So @Oldguy try MadDog’s suggestion and let us know if it works please

Generic backup plan is multiple copies in multiple places of all files on your computer. One backup external drive always connected; another connected every 10 days and perhaps stored offsite or in your car; a cloud backup service like iDrive ($8 first year). Windows does have some kind of backup software and mac uses Time Machine.

I’m sure it’s me but I get message File not found. Should my name be in the extension somewhere?

Whichever version of RM you are using, RM7 or RM9 make sure you OPEN your database. When you open RM, your screen should show your database in pedigree view or whatever data view you usually start out with when using the program.

After the program is fully OPEN, if you want to backup rather than adding new data at that time, you then click on “FILE” in the upper left hand corner of the screen, then choose “backup”.

You should get a dialog box with an area that gives the name of your backup. You then just click BACKUP to make the backup which will likely go to your hard drive unless you chose to put it someplace else. Start by putting one on the hard drive. If you have a flash drive, put a second backup on it.

Let us know exactly what is on the screen when you reach this point in the process and someone can walk you through the next step. Also give us the name of your database. It might help us give you the correct instructions. For example, if I were doing mine now, for RM9 the backup would be: MAS(2024-05-23).rmbackup

I just reread this thread. Do you currently have a working RM database in either program? Can you open your program and start adding new information? You need to have a working program not just some backup from the past.