Conversion from RootsMagic 9 did not copy everything

How do you propose to differentiate the RM9 file type and the RM10 file type, both are .rmbackup? Windows can only associate a type with one program at a time. If you note, and have not altered things, by default the .rmbackup file is not associated with a program to open in. That is because .rmbackup is not meant to be opened other than from within RM. So Windows does not need an app to handle it. So essentially the type in this case is completely irrelevant.

Looking at this indicates that your database/RMGB and RMBACKUP are all going to the same folder.

Check your Folder Settings as this says v9 is getting backed up here. Guessing this is RM10 folder.
Screenshot 2024-08-13 133447

Jerry,
This was the data folder. The 8/12/2024 .rmtree file was the converted RM9 to RM10 file by RM10.

My point is WHY would ANYONE assign a File Type (no matter how) called ā€œRootsMagic 10 Backupā€ to what is really a RootsMagic 9 backup file. It only confuses the issue. Call it ā€œRootsMagic Backupā€, if you must.

This is no longer my structure. EVERYTHING is NOW separated into RM9 data folder, RM10 data folder, RM9 program folder and RM10 program folder.

I agree, ā€œthe type in this case is completely irrelevantā€.

THEREFORE, why muddy up the waters by all of sudden labeling all .rmbackup files with the same File Type!

If RM needed a File Type designation, then it should have REMAINED generic: ā€œRootsMagic Backupā€.

ORIGINAL PROBLEM was MY USER error. It is solved. The discussion about File Types, while interesting has nothing to do with my original post.

Is there a way to ā€œcloseā€ this conversation?

Well, an interesting little detail not_yet_mentioned is that .RMBACKUP files are actually just .ZIP files with a custom RM file extension name. Thereā€¦ I had to add it.

AND, I for one appreciate that little tidbit.

Well, that was mentioned indirectly by me when I said that I had associated 7-zip with .rmbackup.

The enduring mystery is how the OPā€™s computer got the file type name ā€œRootsMagic 10 Backupā€ for the .rmbackup extension. What does yours show? Does anybody else have that type name or anything other than ā€œRMBACKUP fileā€?

Maybe thatā€™s why itā€™s called Roots MAGIC lol

Yes, I have ā€˜RootsMagic 10 Backupā€™ on my system also.

Of course then you have all of the people using RM7 and earlier who all have different file extension, all of which would need to carry the generic designation.

For heavenā€™s sake!, On my old Notebook running Win 10, Explorer now shows ā€œRootsMagic 10 Backupā€ where Iā€™m sure it was showing ā€œRMBACKUPā€ as the File Type just a couple of days ago! Along with your report, I am persuaded that @CanaryIslandsAl did not do something manually to get that File Type label for the .rmbackup extension. Rather, I think it is something that Windows has started doing. Iā€™ll have to watch out for a change on my laptop where I had manually set the association to 7-zip.

Iā€™ve also realised that the File Type designation is more complex than being determined solely by the extension of the file name. For example, I took an old ā€œCompressed (zipped) Folderā€ type and added the .rmbackup extension to its name - no change. I took an old ā€œRMGB Fileā€ type and changed its extension to ā€œ.rmbackupā€ and that did switch the Type to ā€œRootsMagic 10 Backupā€. Then I changed it to ā€œ.rmtreeā€ and the Type changed to ā€œRootsMagic Fileā€ BUT the extension disappeared from the name and adding ā€œ.rmgbā€ to the name does not switch the File Type back. Itā€™s as if Windows has locked it into an association with the application. Not even Properties has any tool to switch it back other than by changing the Association for all files with the .rmtree extension.

Yes, but since the discussion was all twisted up about the .RMBACKUP container and NOT how the database file contained within has a filename extension that is germaneā€¦ I suspect it eludes all but the more-technical regulars.

Tomā€“I have Windows 11 and RIGHT NOW all my files for RM 8-RM10 say RMBACKUP BUT let me install this latest update and see if it changesā€¦

edit-- nope it still the sameā€¦

Looking forward to what you discover.

Interesting that yours does not display the File Type as in my Win 10 settings:

From where does it get the Type ā€œRootsMagic 10 Backupā€.for files with the extension ā€œ.rmbackupā€? It cannot be from the file header or Magic Numbers because changing the extension to ā€œ.zipā€ switches Type to ā€œCompressed (zipped) folderā€.

And the Type does not necessarily come from the associated application (but it might in some cases). Some years ago on this old notebook I had RM7 and earlier versions and I had changed the default application for .rmgc files to the sqlite3 command line executable. Its file Type remained ā€œRMGC Fileā€ despite the verbose label for the app name. Just now I changed the associated to SQLiteSpy, developed on the same platform, more or less, as RootsMagic. That switched the icon but Type remained ā€œRMGC Fileā€, seemingly solely dependent on the filename extension.

Well, mine are Windows 11 settings with RM9 & RM7 installations (have RM10 license, just not installed yet)

Well, I believe the type(s) do(es) come from installation time by the app(s). Having just installed WinRAR, it (and other apps that work on numerous filetypes and their extensions) typically query during install about which the user would like associated. This harkens to the history of Windows Associations and the ā€œactionsā€ which could previously be assigned (Open and Edit). Canā€™t remember if there were moreā€¦

@CanaryIslandsAl ā€“ my files still say RMBACKUP after the Win 1 update