Transfer from Family Search

I am delighted to have my hands on the new version 8.0 of RootsMagic and loving so many of its features. My first issue comes up right away while trying to import my family tree from FamilySearch. The import works quite well, or at least appears to, but when I look more closely I find a great number of things have not transferred. My great grandfather had a second wife, she and all her children did not transfer. I used the people tools to locate and transfer each of these people. Should they not have come across automatically? I will need to search every branch on FamilySearch manually to identify who has a second mate to know they need importing? Second I see that no media or sources were transferred at all with the individuals. No photographs, links or sources? I must go add ALL of these manually too? I was no so surprised to find that none of the attached facts like alternate names, baptisms etc transferred automatically either as I understand you use tags whereas they use attachments but still I must now open every one of the 600 + relatives I imported to manually transfer every fact, second partner, child and source? Why is this necessary? Couldn’t your software do it? If I can do it manually why can you not do it automatically? I’m a bit baffled and overwhelmed at the amount of labor this is going to take to even get the basic data already accumulated stored in this software. Surely I am missing something???

1 Like

I had the same observations you did, after I purchased RM8. I had spent 2 years building my tree on FamilySearch and decided it was finally time to have a local copy. Then I found out very little downloaded with RM8, and the amount of people weren’t what I was expecting.

I ended up finding a separate script on the web that allowed you to crawl up and down your tree, AND download source information, into a GEDCOM that you could import into RM. Good news is that it got all 100,000 sources for my 31,000 person tree, but the sources were not attached to individual facts (birth record to birth, etc), but all just attached to the person. Far better than no sources. Media (photographs) didn’t work though.

1 Like

Chad, this would help me a lot! I’ve been searching the web but have yet to locate the script you mentioned. Any chance you might have a link to it somewhere? I did see a recent video that said that RM8 does not pull sources from FamilySearch so at least now I know its not just me, but the missing second wives and husbands seems like a bug in their transfer process to me. Since I’m starting fresh on RM8 I would like to start with the most transferred as possible. 31,000! Impressive

1 Like

The download from FamilySearch has always been the direct line only. The only way I know of getting around this is to go out say five generations and download all the descendants. This will capture the other spouses. Do that for each line. Then do an auto merge to merge the duplicates. I never had an issue doing it this way, but it is time consuming