So fed up with RM8 no publisher and now no descendant list!

Hi so many features don’t work for me , I was so disappointed to find now that the other main feature i use for writing book which is a key feature the large descendant charts do bot work either , they only print out one page with lots of large ink patches to the left of the page . Is there something easy I can do to put this right ? I haven’t got the patience and time , when I purchase Something I really expect it to work to a good standard . I will have to download 7 again on another computer .

RM7 and 8 can both be on the same computer. Just be clear that they each use a different file and format but can both look at the same media folder. If a mac user be aware that after Apple’s annual OS update in October RM7 will need a new expensive wrapper which Bruce may not want to pay for.

1 Like

RM7 and 8 can both be on the same computer. Just be clear that they each use a different file and format but can both look at the same media folder. If a mac user be aware that after Apple’s annual OS update in October RM7 will need a new expensive wrapper which Bruce may not want to pay for.

RootsMagic 7 already doesn’t work with Monterey. The CrossOver wrapper won’t be updated. RootsMagic 8 is the only version being updated and it doesn’t need a wrapper.

1 Like

Oh dear! RM7 still works on mac Mojave so I warned my spouse she will lose RM if she upgrades the OS. Still using Mojave to keep the Overdrive app functional to put library audiobooks on a 2007 ipod nano (amazing life).

While access violations seem greatly lessened or gone we are back to a tiny upper left default window.

1 Like

Hi Thanks for that, unfortunately i did the new mac update to monterey and ive lost everything , doesn’t matter what i do it still won’t work . Ive used another mac in the house and its downloaded seven again, looks like I will have to use this until the other is sorted , which at present is no use at all . With a tree of 25, 000 I use ancestry for this part and book writing I use Roots magic, suppose if i Hadn’t of updated everything would be fine still.

Thanks for reply , RM8 , all looks great to look at , but its no use if it doesn’t work properly fr me after upgrading I had to purchase 8 because I lost RM7. The features are the large descendant chart and the book publishing , one family chart take 100 pages at the moment its just one page with a large ink mess, so there is something not right.

With expert help you can get mojave os back on your mac. Backups are a crucial part of this step.

You have not lost your RM7 database or folders just the program.

Caution: when the RM7 file is imported into RM8 which is still in Beta status for macs it is changed to a format not readable by RM7. Best to assume any work done in RM8 can’t be turned into RM7 (easily or at all?). Don’t count on Gedcom transfer back since that feature seems to have issues.

RM8 isn’t in beta status at all, especially on the Mac. You can use a GEDCOM to go from RM8 to RM7 if you need to.

Gedcom from RM8 to FTM certainly does not seem to transfer data without serious issues.

If you are exporting a GEDCOM to import into another program make sure to uncheck “Extra Details (RM specific)”. Since this thread is on exporting back to RM7 you shouldn’t have an issue.

…or a direct RM8 database to RM7 database conversion without attendant GEDCOM losses:
https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/convert-rm8-database-to-rm7-rm8-rm7/

Hi I can’t download RM7 on my mac due to the new update to monterey it just won’t allow as you know. The only alternative is to revert back to Big sur which im not going to do the only thing I have done is downloaded rm7 on another laptop in the house to continue my book . At present the features I need such as publishing a book and downloaded large descendant charts just do not work or are not present yet. SO rm8 Is no use at all to me , I have ancestry for my tree and various other programs for research purposes. It was only useful to me for book publishing. Thanks for all reply

Well, you could use the full version of CrossOver. Costs money but should work just fine.

It supports all recent versions of MacOS, includes support for Mx Macs (by invoking Rosetta 2), and will probably support Ventura when that ships next month. There is usually a free trial period and installation of RM7 is pretty straightforward - one of the available software ‘products’ with a supplied installation procedure, so might be worth a try.

@Kat23 I have within the last 30 minutes produced a perfect Descendant Chart & Decendant List from RM8, so your complaint makes no sense.
Are you using a Mac! I’m on PC with Windows 11.

Hi, My complaint is genuine , its no use at all it doesn’t print out a full descendant chart , Yes, Im on Mac Montery. I have used Roots magic from when first developed , wrote four books all with working descendant charts . Unfortunately there is problems on mac for me using RM8 . im currently using RM7 on another computer!

Actually her report does make sense. Just because you can do it, that doesn’t mean much. I can’t generate a report either. I get errors about not being able to obtain a lock or some crap like that. This is doing a custom sized 100x100 descendant report. I also get similar errors trying to do a one page report. I do suspect park of Kathi’s problem is related to her paper size as in she is trying to print a 100 page report on one page…but she does have a problem.

Have you changed to a custom paper size? What you describe makes sense if you are trying to print to a single sheet. If you haven’t already, try setting your paper size to custom and choosing something like 100" x 100". If that looks better, experiment with the size until you get a canvas large enough.

Thank you if only you replied first! Yes i played around with paper size and it worked …just waiting for publisher now … problem solved thanks so much