RootsMagic Android App

I think it is no longer available. The FAQ should say so but does not acknowledge its prior existence. Android updates, Google Play Store rules, Dropbox changes and the employee or contractor who developed it have all left it behind.

Surely someone has figured out how to update the no longer supported Rootsmagic app on an Android phone. I still like the Rootsmagic phone app.

The app was produced by an outside company so no, no one at RM has “figured” out a way. If there is to be another Rootsmagic has not announced it. Could a third party produce an app that could read a SQLLite DB file and display it on the screen in various ways in recognizable genealogical ways? Sure, it could happen but for someone to do that, there would probably have to be someway to make some money off of it. So if you are a skilled Android dev, you might want to think about it.

1 Like

Sorry, that is far above my skill level.
However I did find an app that works pretty well. It is called GedStar Pro. The app puts all of the information on your phone. You need to download software for on your PC to convertt a Gedcom file to GedStar Pro, then upload that file to your Android phone. I have found it helpful to have my genealogy on my phone. Now on an iPad, you can upload the RM file via iTunes and it still works.

This is an inverse of the KISS approach. Just download the free ancestry app from the ios app store for phone and pad and be done. This app allows editing the file rather than just viewing the gedcom.

That’s fine for some. I am OK in this instance not following the KISS principal. I use Ancestry.com with great caution. I will not put my database there. If I did genealogy full time maybe I would, but with what I do a yearly member ship is a waste of money for me. I do a paid membership on occasion when they have special offers, like they just did.

Ancestry is expensive but I think you can upload a file without a paid account. You would not get access to records but the free app would see your tree.

…and as you have been told many times, not everyone wants their data on Ancestry…and besides, Ancestry is busy removing privileges from freeby accounts.

1 Like

OK, but I have found an app that seems to replace what the RootsMagic app did. Such a shame it was discontinued for Android. I am still able to use it on an iPad and am able to keep my database file updated.
Sorry, but Ancestry I do not trust.

1 Like