RootsMagic 8 - unable to see the maps just a gray screen

Hi,
Sorry to be a nuisance is there anyone out there who can help? - I have just upgraded and when I go to Places>Mapping>map a place & select an address - I do not connect to the map all I get is a gray screen.
When I go to Places>Mapping>map people- I have lovely coloured markers but again no map just a gray screen.
Anybody got any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Check that the locations have been geocoded. You will see the Latitude and Longitude columns filled out. If you haven’t geocoded them go to the 3 dot menu and select “Geocode all places”.

Hi Renee,

Thanks for the pointer, as suggested I have now got Latitude and Longitude in Places>place list, however when I go to Places>Mapping I still get the gray screen. Please see attached any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Regards

Sue

(Attachment Mapping.docx is missing)

Hi Renee,

Second attempt as first failed to upload the attachment

Thanks for the pointer, as suggested I have now got Latitude and Longitude in Places>place list, however when I go to Places>Mapping I still get the gray screen. Please see attached any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Regards

Sue

Not that it helps you but maps are being retrieved on RM 8.2.5 on my Win 10 22H2 laptop without having done the Windows patch.

The screen shots are to blurry when I enlarge them to try and copy the name, standard place name and lat/long. Can you give those to me? I’m wondering it this is an issue with the name you are using since its looks like a street address only.

Hi Renee,

Sorry to bother you, I thought I had sent this but cannot find it in my ‘sent’ folder.

I have set up a dummy account with census info using an address and birth details using my home town. Please see attached, (I have to send this as 2 emails as I am a new user) I have tried to make it bigger so you can see the issue and point me in the right direction if I am doing anyhthing wrong.

Regards

Sue

Regards

Sue

Hi Renee,

Sorry to bother you, I thought I had sent this but cannot find it in my ‘sent’ folder.

Please see attached, (I have to send this as 2 emails as I am a new user). So this is the second attachment. Hope you can see where I am going wrong.

Regards

Sue

Regards

Sue

If the places are geocoded they should appear on the map. If all locations are doing this then its an issue with loading the map. Check your security software to make sure RootsMagic is not being blocked from accessing the internet.

We do have chats on our website where we can do remote viewing. The best time to reach and agent is Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00 (MT).

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. On the advise of Fiona at S&N the firewall and antivirus settings have been checked by my provider Norton and they are not stopping the connection.

I am not very techy so will try and get in touch on the website. I am in the UK, and not sure what you meant 8:00 to 4:00 (MT), - (MT)?

Thanks
Regards

Sue

I believe that is about 3pm - 11:00pm London time. MT is Mountain Time, which is the 3rd time zone in the United States, as you travel from the Atlantic to the Pacific ocean.

Hi All,
Thanks to all who have tried to help with this. I have some family issues at the moment so will have to try and sort later on. Please keep this thread open for now.

Sue

Hi all, Sorry I have not had a computer, having had to get a new one. The new computer seems to have solved my map problem so it must have been an issue with Windows 7. Not really that impressed with ‘OpenStreetMap’ as my many home town addresses point to the same area near our Parish Church rather that dotted all over the town as they should be.

I would like to thank everyone who tried to help me with this issue.
Thanks
Sue

You can go to the OpenStreetMap site or even Google Maps, navigate to the actual street address, Church, Cemetery or whatever and copy the lat/long coordinates from there into RM