Roles not appearing in sentence

I am a recent convert from TMG to RM8 so I am familiar with sentence templates. I have added a marriage, spouse and children to Henry. But the wife and children to not appear in the formatted sentence for the 1901 census. How do I get the role of [spouse] and [child with parents] into this program?
Thanks.

1 Like

First, you must define roles of spouse and child with parents for the Census fact. Second, you can add the roles to the sentence for the Census fact. Third, you can share those roles with the individuals he have those roles in real life. Fourth, you can define sentences for the roles.

In the fact sentences such as the sentence for Census, you can use roles as variables, such as [spouse] and [child with parents]. In role sentences such as the sentence for souse or child with parents, you use [ThisPerson] for the individual who has the role and [Person] for the individual who has the fact.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think RM’s role names can include blanks, so I think you will need something like child_with_parents.

1 Like

I am not making clear my problem.

Actually your problem is quite clear and Jerry gave you an answer. However it is going to get awkward here. If various couples have varying numbers of children, getting all of the children listed is going to be problematic. Unless you manually want to alter the sentence template for every couple in your database that has the census of interest, there isn’t a way to get 2 children listed for one family and 5 children listed for another.

Why doesn’t the spouse show up in the census sentence template. There must be someplace I need to go to add the role of spouse even though on the facts window she shows as married to Henry McBride. Where do I enter the role of “spouse?’ Thanks

You have to share the Census fact with the parties involved. Step three of Jerry’s reply above. In your case, click on the 1901 Irish Census fact. In the right panel you will see various information about the fact. One of those bits will be ‘Shared’. Next to ‘Shared’, click the >. You will then need to add each person, one at a time, that you wish to share the fact with. So this would be the spouse and kids.

Once that person is selected, there is a ‘Role’ dropdown box and you would need to select an appropriate Role for the just added person. If you do not see an an appropriate Role, you can add one of your choosing. So in your picture above, you would add Henry and set his role to Spouse.

Oh, thank you very much. I had not known what the “Shared” line was for. Now it all makes sense.
Happy New Year to you!

Actually, there is. When roles are in use, the variable for the role in the main sentence will expand to include everybody with the role. Suppose you make BridesMaid be a role for the Marriage fact. Suppose you share the Marriage fact with all the bridesmaids using the Bridesmaid role. And suppose the Marriage sentence is something like the following.

[Couple] were married [Date][Place].< The bridesmaids at the wedding were [BridesMaid].>

Then, the sentence will list all the bridesmaids, no matter how many of them there are. This sentence is obviously oversimplified and you might need to get into a plural switch to take care of the situation where there is only one bridesmaid. But that certainly is the idea when the same role for a fact is shared with more than one individual.

To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn’t use the Marriage fact in this way. I would probably add a Wedding fact to supplement the Marriage fact where it would be the Wedding fact that had the roles and was shared.

Did you define a role of Spouse for the Census fact? It sounds like you did not.

As RM is delivered, the [Spouse] variable only works for couple facts such as Marriage. To get it to work for individual facts such as Census you have to make it into a role. For the Census fact, it’s very common for users to define roles such as Wife, Husband, Son, Daughter, Boarder, Mother, Father, etc. You could define Spouse instead of Wife or Husband, but the principle is the same no matter what you call the roles.

I also believe I said it was going to get awkward. No one wants a sentence that says ‘The bridesmaids at the wedding were Jane, Ginny, Betsy’. They actually want ‘The bridesmaids at the wedding were Jane, Ginny and Betsy’.

What is the sentence template that produces this and you deem to be "awkward "? If my memory is accurate, the role variable outputs
“Jane, Ginny, and Betsy”, i.e., the list of all persons with that role demarcated with ", " except the last which is prefaced by "and ". It has been that way since RM4.

Yep, it does give you the “and”.

Interesting! That has not been my prior experience. I will have to try it again.