RM9 Book Quality Complaints

Maybe that is why they are not doing it again. :wink:

I received the book today. I started with page 22 (“The Main Screen”) and found that I had difficulty reading the text. It was especially difficult to make out the picture of the screen. If you compare it with the RM7 book it’s quite a difference. I will report it to Amazon. I very much want this book but in its current condition it’s unusable.

I very much agree. The layout/design of this book might be better if tweaked to consider how it ultimately get’s printed. I ended up returning my copy, hoping RM will get a better version to press down the road.

One thing to report is that when I told Amazon I wanted to return it, they said I could keep it but that they’d refund the money to my “gift” account, which I’ve since then used to purchase something else.

RM7 was available as a $5 PDF manual which you could search. Should be easy to make a PDF manual from the file for the print manual and charge $5-10.

My experience with the book. US 40509 zip code.

The print was very light an and hard to read. So I ask Amazon to send me a new one which they did. It was just as bad.

So I am now returning and asked for a refund which they say they will give me when they receive the old book.

So I will be taking the old book to the UPS store this afternoon.

When I read reports that others have gotten a new book and it is good quality I will repurchase.

Roger

I ordered the RM9 book several weeks ago. It came in B&W, and it’s sharp and clear. Mine was printed in Las Vegas (on last page). Good luck with the order.
Larry

Version I got from Amazon in England seems ok to me

I guess I am now old, being old school, I just love books. My spouse likes the online books, print and audio. Not a big fan, still prefer to have a real life hard copy book in my hands that I can flip a page and read. Put book marks in, and gosh forbid, highlight something. I do highlights with manuals and not any of my hardbound books. But for the RM book I do highlight.

I did not notice when I ordered the book that it was suppose to have color pictures through it. The copy I obtained has the faded grey pictures, well most look like drawings really. But by this point in time, I have checked all pages, and can read all print and see all the pictures (drawings). I am west coast USA in California, for those that are keeping track of where each book may have come from.

I am not a major computer wiz at all, thus no good knowledge of how the inside workings of RM do their thing, but I am very much into genealogy and using computer, and RM to do so. Over the years (ok again I am old school now OK) I have checked out pretty much all the programs/apps for genealogy. Back a bit I used two or three programs, one that had good use of sources, the other two mostly for report printing. I did like Roots, and later TMG. RM is a great mix of what I think was in both Roots and TMG. I used the books/manuals for all of them.

I am very happy to just have a readable book/manual for RM. I got lucky and have a copy which has all pages readable. I think a manual should be required for any program you get. Again I am old school, and know that almost everything as of late, comes without any kind of manual and if at all, instructions. Most do not even have online manuals. So I am pretty much just happy that Bruce spent some time and put a book/maual out, in my opionion it is a must and am happy to have a readable copy. I have fingers crossed that everyone with a non-readable copy gets a good version.

Rootsmagic’s great virtues were a good print manual that gave you an overview of the program without swamping you with excess detail and a non-facebook forum. RM9, the first real release on the mac, has a decent manual except that it is very poorly printed. Charts are unreadable and the dim faint small text is a real strain for older eyes (Bruce has exceptional vision). Getting Amazon to fix the printing and having a PDF version should be a high priority and easily achievable.

Three months + after the problems were reported, and nothing from the RM team to advise that the problem had been resolved.

Not good Customer Support.

Any updates on the RM9 book quality? Is Amazon doing a better job now? Someone mentioned in an Amazon review comment to get a PDF from Ancestry.com. That doesn’t make any sense.

Still no word on improving the book quality. Are there attempts to improve the print or offer a PDF?

I had been holding off purchase due to the concerns about quality and the lack of messages indicating the problems had been resolved. I have just bought a copy from Amazon in Australia and am pleased to report that it is clear and easy to read.

1 Like

You won the manual lottery! Current US reviews on Amazon still extoll the unreadability of the text and what are all those minuscule chart things!!

I finally took the plunge last night and ordered a copy from Amazon. Will let everyone know in a day or two if is now readable.

My book came today. The regular printing was fine but the screen shots were not readable without a magnifying glass. That being said, in my opinion, having a manual is preferable to having no manual. It is also easier, and in many instances quicker, to learn from a book as compared to videos since one can quickly look up one particular issue.