RM9 Book Quality Complaints

With so many complaints about the RM9 Book quality from Amazon, can we get someone from RM (Renee or Bruce?) to advise us what can be done. I would be surprised if the RM folks are happy with the results. RM is typically top quality.

1 Like

We are recommending that if you are unhappy with the book that you can go through Amazon for a return, refund or replacement within 30 days of receipt.

1 Like

Did the RM Team not have any say in the quality of the finished Book?

As one who returned theirs for a refund it really was of the lowest quality, illegible light coloured grey text, low resolution screen grabs as illustrations, Amazon showed in their advertisement readable text and colour illustrations, neither of which were in the supplied book.

IMO both Amazon and Roots Magic are in breach of our product and sale of goods laws here in the UK and also are in breach of the Advertising Standards.

1 Like

The question is will RM be getting Amazon to do a decent reprint. Users need the manual but also need to be able to read it.

2 Likes

Top quality, really? The RM8 release was a disaster. RM9 seemingly was rushed to market before it had been thoroughly tested so that it could be marketed at RootsTech. The book quality issues are, to me, a part of that rush. Like many, I’ll keep the book because I need it and there is no other option. IMO, a User Manual should always be included in the Help menu as a part of the program. I really want to like RM9, but there are so many problems that seem to me to be connected to RM9’s rushed release.

1 Like

There will be a Wiki for RM 9 as for RM 8 and probably not on paper. It is said they first have to get rid of some of the bugs.

The book needs more than just a reprint. Font sizes need to be increased. Screenshots need to be resized so that they are readable without having to use a magnifying glass. It was, obviously, released in a hurry to meet the rushed release date for RM9.

1 Like

Renee,
Thank you for your response. Between this community and the Facebook group you must be working 10 hour days.
Do you think RM will redo the book? Should I wait to purchase?

I decided to wait for a possibly better quality book. Sometimes you need something in print while you are engaged with a process on your computer.

Renee,
Thank you for your response. Between this community and the Facebook group you must be working 10 hour days.
Do you think RM will redo the book? Should I wait to purchase?

Wishing it was only 10 hrs days. I would personally wait a little bit for your local Amazon location doing the printing to get it straightened out. I’ve seen photos of some of the print jobs and quality is not all the same.

Renee,
Do you think it could be printed in colour (as per the preview)?
Dave

Where do you see a colored preview of the book? All I see on Amazon is the front and back covers that are in color.

1 Like

I see colour inside on amazon.ca but only the outside covers are currently displayed on the mobile app. There is a “Look inside” option on the browser page, at least on a larger screen. (Chromebook)

And the caption above it says “You are viewing a sample of the Paperback version.”

There’s the evidence!

On a PC/Windows - Firefox (Amazon.co.uk)
Go to the “Look Inside”

Then scroll down

All readable and in Colour

Dave

Same also on Amazon.com, as long as you are on a desktop browser. My mobile browser and app do not have the “Look inside” control.
https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Most-Out-RootsMagic-9/dp/1932932178/?asin=1932932178&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1
– has the 1st 18 pages then jumps to 336 or so

This is the one thing that disappointed me most. My book is not the greatest quality but is passable. I did feel a bit mislead when it arrived printed in B&W after viewing the preview in colour. I have keratoconus (corneal condition) so colour contrast would have helped viewing the illustrations.

Nor does my desktop browser now! I am guessing that preview got taken down quickly!

It is still there on amazon.ca.

Still there on Amazon.co.uk

What you see on Amazon UK regarding images of the book is not actually what arrives.