RM8 Image Editor

Worked for me in Windows 10

1 Like

On Windows 11, RM 8.1.2 After selecting an image in media, then clicking the pencil icon to edit the image makes no attempt to open any application. My default image editing application is Photos, which I can use to edit outside of RM8.

This registry hack worked for me. Thanks, Jerry

Regedit modify advice posted above worked for me also …IrfanView is now my RM8 media editor of choice. Thanks for the tip(2)!

After I did this I upgraded to windows 11 and it carried across the preference, so it still works

Hi Gunman - while we’re at it, would you recommend such an editor - straightening and also fixing perspective was in Picasa and I’ve not found an equivalent. Oh - do I see you do have it?

Years ago I found what I think is an easy way to set the default edit program for each file type in Windows 10.

Find a file of the sort you use in your genealogy. I use jpegs.
Right click on the file.
This will open a long narrow window with Open at the top and Properties at the bottom.
(The items between them vary depending on the software you have installed… just ignore them.)
Click on Properties. This will open the properties window.
Now click on the “Change” button.
A window listing the programs Windows “thinks” will work with that file type will pop up.
Just select the program on the list (or search for it) to link that file type to that program.
Close all the windows and from now on that program will be the default program that opens for that file type.
It takes 30 seconds and you only have to do it once.

1 Like

Windows 10 and earlier versions have a separate action to ‘edit’ image files which is distinct from the ‘open’ action, and unfortunately this is the one that RM is trying to open the file with. The default application for this in Windows is the legacy version of MS Paint and there is no direct way for users to change this default, other than by editing the Registry keys as described in other posts.

Please note, for Windows 11 editing the Registry keys as earlier mentioned, will NOT work, as the Registry keys are different. I could only get RM8 image editor to work with MS Paint, using the properties as described by JEFFR.

In the next update, we are switching the image edit button to use the “open” association instead of “edit”. In the old days it was easy to change both associations, but now (as you see) it requires a bunch of registry mangling to modify the “edit” association.

3 Likes

Thanks Bruce that is good news…

1 Like

Nope. A JPG file in Windows has both a default “open” program associated with it and a default “edit” program associated way. The easy way to change file associations works for the default “open” program and not for the default “edit” program.

That’s more or less the point of this discussion. When you click the Edit icon in RM, it opens the file using the default “edit” program rather than using the default “open” program, and there is no easy way in Windows to change the default “edit” program. Well, “easy” can be in the eye of the beholder, but changing the default “edit” program in Windows requires changing a Registry key.

That is wonderful news!