RM8 - 'Compare Files'

With Compare Files you can open two database files side by side and identify points of difference between them.

1. They are listed by ‘% of difference’ presumably determined by some (unknown?) criteria. Is there (or should there be) a means to search for and select a specific individual in this listing?

2. Once you have opened a particular Person it should presumably be possible to select particular Facts for copying to the ‘other’ tree, in a similar manner to Treeshare. However this does not seem to work, as there is no button or tick mark to confirm the action once selected. Am I doing something wrong, or is this (yet another) work in progress?

1 Like

I am having trouble getting the second or “comparison” file to open properly. I am selecting “Open a RM8 file” should I be selecting from my harddisk file folder?
thanks

You can’t have both databases open outside of Compare while doing that. Only have one database open then go to File, Tools, Compare and open the second database inside of that.

There is no search option inside Compare files. You need to scroll to the person.

Gunslinger1948:
*Once you have opened a particular Person it should presumably be possible to select particular Facts for copying to the ‘other’ tree, in a similar manner to Treeshare. However this does not seem to work, as there is no button or tick mark to confirm the action once selected. Am I doing something wrong, or is this (yet another) work in progress?

Click on the arrows next to the facts if you need to add or replace information. The icons in the column grids can also be clicked on to bring up options for moving data. It’s very similar to how RM7 worked with Compare Files. Biggest difference is how you open it.

What’s New in RootsMagic 7
00:29:05 – Compare Files