Relationship Calculator and "Change Fact Type"

1. It would be wonderful if we could set a person in the relationship calculator function, similar to the “root person” function, so that we would not need to re-enter a person repeatedly. In my case, the system always selects the current person as Person 1, but I must always re-enter my name as Person 2 to see how we are related. It could be easier!

2. As a minor housekeeping issue, we need to re-create the “Change Fact Type” functionality that was available in RM7. It helps us all correct our previous errors when we see that we have incorrectly selected a Fact Type without re-entering all of the sources and data.

Best wishes to all.

2 Likes

Hi @Zwilling, with regards to point 2 - we have the functionality to change the fact type in RM8, it is just a different (and easier) pathway. To change the fact type, go to the fact that is incorrect and simply select the arrow in the Fact Type cell (it is on the far right). This will bring up the Fact Type selection box, where the correct one can be selected. Then select the checkmark at the top to confirm the change. In saying this, I don’t think that family fact types can be changed to individual and vice versa (which was the “rule” in RM7).

1 Like

Sorry @Zwilling - I should have mentioned something in my previous response regarding the first point. I’m not sure if you aware that relationships also show up in the side panel on the People Screen (just under their date of birth / death), if they are direct / blood relations. This might save referring back to the relationship report :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you for your replies.

I love RootsMagic.

@JillV @Zwilling You need to set this first in the people panel Edit menu before they show up. So if they are not showing from the people panel click on the Edit button and select Set Relationships.

You can then select the person to set the relationships from, by clicking on the Show relationships to this per… button. The relationships will then show up as you described.

2 Likes

Ooops - forgot that little bit of the instructions - thanks for adding it Chris (I was Beta testing for quite a few months and have had my screen like this for so long that I forgot it had to be set up!) :slightly_smiling_face:

Your Welcome @JillV, I noticed that I did not have the relationships shown and found out where to set them. I am a new user of RM for 3 days now, so learning lots.

1 Like

That’s fabulous @Chris , and it sounds as if you’ve got a great handle on the program too! Best of luck with all your research, and finding ways in which RM8 can progress this even further! :blush:

Thank you very much!! I never would have found that switch if you hadn’t taken the time to send me the screen shots.

Best regards.

Rod Ramer
Spokane