Place names showing up *backwards* on Person Edit page

I have several different datasets in RM9, each for a different project. Today, I opened one I haven’t had occasion to use in several weeks and I was taken aback to find that on each Person Edit page, the place info on each fact line (the panel on the left) was displayed in the reverse of the proper order – i.e., “Kentucky, Davis County, Owensboro.” If I highlight a fact line, the actual editing panel on the right then displays the info the way it should. This happens only on Person Editing page – but it happens on all of them, for every person in the dataset.

So I closed it and opened several other datasets. The place info on each fact line for each person I checked in each dataset displays exactly the way it should. It’s just this one dataset that’s gone nuts. And this isn’t the first time I’ve used this dataset since upgrading to RM9, so it’s not a “conversion” problem from RM8.

I closed RM and restarted it. Problem is still there. So I shut down everything and restarted the computer, and reopened RM. Problem is still there, and still only with this one dataset. This doesn’t keep me from editing people, of course. But if I type in the place info the proper way in the right-hand panel, it instantly displays on the left in reverse order. It’s driving me nuts.

It’s a setting. Click the 3 vertical dots from the Edit Person window and select ‘Options’, then deselect ‘Reverse place names’.

That particular setting is on a database by database basis rather than being for all your databases. So it’s certainly possible that you have the setting one way on all your databases but one and the other way on the other database. It’s not obvious how the setting could have been changed, but it has been changed. Follow kevinm’s directions to change the setting back.

Thank you – and Jerry, too! I went though every list of settings & options I could find (because, of course, they wouldn’t all be in one place), but apparently I missed that one. And all the options were selected, as well – sibling events, etc – which I don’t want to see anyway. But none of them were actually in effect on the Edit Person page, checkmarked or not.

1 Like

Right. There is a checkbox in the Edit Person window that allows you to override all of these “relative events” with 1 click. I don’t usually want to view them either. I leave them all selected in the Options screen and then use the checkbox in the Edit Person screen to hide them. That way, a single click will display all of these event types on the rare occasions that I want to view them.

Currently, deselecting the ‘Show relative events’ checkbox doesn’t hide associations. That capability has been requested in a prior post.
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 7.42.25 AM

Another Edit Person option that’s very important to me personally is the Display Description / Relation On A Separate Row In Cell option which defaults to On.

I have a very strong preference for data to be presented in nice rows and columns with only one type of data in each column rather than having different kinds of data stacked above each other in the same column. So I always want this option to be Off which not the default. Some users report very much preferring this option to be On. So try it both ways and see which way works better for you.

I’m like kevinm in that I turn on all the Relative Event display options On under the 3 Dots menu and then Off in the main Edit Person screen. It’s rare that I want to see any of them but if I want to see any of them then I want to see all of them. The only other of these options that I keep on at all times is the Show Shared Event option because that option let’s me see the events in Edit Person as they will appear in narrative reports.

1 Like