How to automatically enable Web Hints every time I start RM9

I’ve looked at the RM help facility and also at the RM9 book. I can’t figure this out.

First of all, when I’m in People view, some people have the blue tree symbol and the yellow light-bulb symbol, whereas others have only the blue tree symbol. If they have both symbols, when I click them the results are exactly the same - Web hints, Problem alerts, and Family Search. Why two things to click on that appear to yield the same result?

When I start using RM9 and I click on Web hints, it’ll tell me that I must be logged onto Family Search and Ancestry. I can’t figure out how to log in to either of them on demand, or how to make it automatic when RM starts. However, I’ve found that if I click on FamilySearch within one of these symbols, it’ll go through the FS login process, and I no longer get the message about how I must be logged onto Family Search. Similarly if I go to Publish/Ancestry TreeShare, it’ll log me onto Ancestry. Why can’t it do these two things automatically? Why do I have to go through this convoluted indirect process to get the logins to occur so that I can access the web hints?

One of the sources I read seemed to say that it was possible for me to supply, look at, and correct the userid/password for each of these external databases, but I’ve not found this capability. As far as I can tell, the only time I can supply this login data is when I’ve triggered the login process as described above.

I find this somewhat (actually, very) frustrating.

Not possible in these days of heavy traffic, website security, and two-factor authentication. Once logged in you can tell here:

Both FamilySearch and Ancestry have changed their login procedures. It’s possible not all the areas in Help have been updated. If you give me the link to where it was not correct I will check. As for automatic login neither are available due to third party requirements. You will need to login each session.

With hints if you hover over the person tools icons the drop list will appear. Then click on the icon you want. It only requires one click to open hints.

FTM retains auto login for familysearch and ancestry so this is really a RM9 issue. Ancestry does need a fresh login in FTM if you have been gone a long time (weeks).

I have the sample complaint. The way RM9 does this is a downgrade from RM7. With RM9, no matter which one of them you click you have to click again to get the one your really want.

The way it’s designed, you don’t actually have to do two clicks. The design is that instead of click and then click again, it’s hover and then click so that there is only one click. But the hover is functionally the same as a click, so there effectively there is always an extra and surely unnecessary click.

Thank you to everyone who answered. I didn’t realize that there was a display at the bottom of the column on the left. I find that clicking on those does a logon, which is much easier than the methods I found to indirectly cause a logon. My only remaining question is why can’t there be an option to automatically activate these logons whenever RM9 is brought up? It’s done when you click on
FamilySearch for a particular person, and it’s done when you activate Ancestry TreeShare, so why can’t it be done when you log in, so that the hints are readily available? If it were made an option, then those people who don’t want to have it occur can choose not to have it be automatic.

I just re-read your response, and I understand there are “third party requirements”, but surely it wouldn’t be violating those requirements to have the logon occur when RM9 starts up, for purposes of allowing hints to work. The way it is now, if you click on hints when logon hasn’t occurred you get a line of text that tells you that logon must occur first, and it’s not something you can click on to cause logon to occur. (Maybe that should be changed?) Now that I’ve learned there are icons to click in the left-most column at the bottom, that makes it less cumbersome, but really, what’s the difference to the “third party” if the logon occurs when we start RM9 or when we first use a service which requires it? As long as the automated logon at startup was something the user could choose to use or not use, who’d suffer by having this feature?

Well, the “third party” is obviously not wanting to have to manage logins for every user (1 in 50 or a hundred) that is NOT using those services at the present time.

You have a fair point. Thanks.