Fact List - suggestion: add the ability to print the note associated with a fact

Since the Custom Reports are not available (yet?), it would be helpful to be able use the Fact List report to see information.

I enter DNA match information in the DNA fact note and it would be nice to see all of those in a report with the optional ability to not have the Date and Place columns included.

1 Like

You can partially get there. I created my own fact type “DNA Match”. I set it up to not use the date and place fields, only the description. Or you can edit the existing DNA Test fact to not use the date and place fields. Did you know that the fact list report can be filtered to report just the one fact type? The only thing the report does not do, is print notes.

The default setting for the DNA test Fact does not use Place, but the Fact List report for DNA test produces the Place column anyway.

The big miss is the lack of the Notes column.

1 Like

Alaine, I too use the DNA fact type to add my DNA matches from all the various places where they tested. I note the sites they tested on, and the webpage so I can jump to it when selected. I do wish I could print ANYTHING on a canned report that would allow me to see my matches and how much they match. Just a simple “check box selection” of print on or off. I do enter the DNA matche names, Webaddresses, Strengths etc, I have in the notes section of the profile they/we match, and who is matching who, and their cM’s. I also color all profiles in my database one color “Dark Green” so I can identify when looking at descendants, who has dna, and who matches this line. They stand out. I also choose a slight lighter green color for those who have matching DNA with my wife’s line since upstream, my line is not expected to match them… I don’t use this green for anything else, so it’s just DNA matches…
I also match others and not necessarily to me. My DNA may not match the distant relation, but my sisters does! That is also valuable information… That kind of research won’t show up on these simple reports, but the color coding sure lets me know someone matches and can be proven via DNA… Who matches who and what strength, and what website I get these results from.
I do wish we had a canned set of reports we could choose from, that would allow us to select record fields we choose to place on a report. Back in the day at work, I use to use a report writer for databases that I believe was called “Crystal Report Writer” and it was a third party software that would extract from our database any data, and we could choose where to put that data, and how to format it.
The bad is that color coding my DNA matches does not export into gedcoms. I loose the ability to share my tree with others so they can view the GREEN DNA MATCHS. Have you ever seen anybody suggest we get a 3rd party report writer that we can intergrate with RootsMagic?
Your thoughts on any or all? Kirt

I don’t know how receptive RM Development is to the use of third-party reporting apps but with a combination of a Custom report that uses fact fields including notes and selection of people by color coding (or other specified data fields), you can build your own report. I would like to see more fields available relating to relationships and basic calculations.
Color coding can be shown in reports, for example, a descendant list report shows those I have colored Green (DNA Match) and Yellow (DNA Connection) so I can see where DNA fell (and where it didn’t). If you are using RM9 the new Color Code sets can be very flexible in reports, both existing and custom.