I have over 10K people in my tree – and I had 9 broken trees before yesterday. A Facebook friend shared this tip on finding out – how your deceased relatives are related. I was able to eliminate all but one of those yesterday. It only took me less than 90 minutes of work. I will say I am almost overjoyed I was able to do this. I know many others in the past have mentioned struggling with broken trees before – so hopefully fix at least some of them.
I start with some caveats:
• You need FSID’s (Family Search ID’s in both “branches” / broken trees)
• You need a Family Search Account
• Your results may not be as lucky as I was
[EDIT] NOTE : The info in Family Search may not be correct and it could change even from yesterday – you need to verify what you have found.
- Create Family Search account if not already done
- Go to their other website https://relativefinder.org/#/login
a. It will ask you for you Family Search credentials
- you will be interested in the connect Tab / two deceased people
- Hopefully you have used FSID in RM.
- Go to your Roots magic tree
- Go to one of your broken trees – find person in broken tree with FSID – usually either some near bottom or top of tree is best to choose.
- Find someone in your main tree with FSID you expect likely to be related.
- Now go back to the Connect two deceased people (https://relativefinder.org/#/two-deceased)
- type those two FSID / hit submit
- Note: sometimes the website is a little quirky – you may have to resubmit. Also depending on distance of the path and demand on website this may take several minutes.
- If a result is found – you can then see a list of common ancestors which you then see the path which they are related
a. Click one of the first (usually best) common ancestors and then view the chart – then you can save chart as PDF to work on later in RM
- If nothing found – keep trying various pairs until you do.
- You can also use Relative/Masquerade (https://relativefinder.org/#/masquerade)
a. This will show you all “famous” people related to that person.
- I wish you luck!!