Cannot open Personal Historian 3 on MacOS

As part of the Holiday Offer from 2020, I received keys for PH3 and tried to install today having successfully installed RM8.

The programs installs OK but when trying to open (using Ctl+Click) the system seems to hang and then my screen goes blank and the restarts. I cannot launch PH3. My system is iMac 10.15 and the RM8 launches and runs fine.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I have the same problem, running on iMac, OS Big Sur 11.6.
From the download page for PH3, it looks like the Mac version is only supported on “macOS Mountain Lion (10.8) through macOS Mojave (10.14)”
https://www.rootsmagic.com/Personal-Historian/

Once again, Mac users are shafted. Mojave 10.14 is quite a bit out of date.

1 Like

Oh, so they managed to get RM7 working with an updated wrapper before RM8 was released - this was to make RM7 work on 64-bit devices. Why not do PH3 at the same time - as I understand the wrapper is provided by a third party.

@rzamor1 - can you please shed some light on where us Mac users are supposed to go now.

1 Like

I, too, bought PH3 back in Oct '21 and decided to start using it today. I experienced the exact same thing! I’m now running Monterey 12.4. You’d think after all these months, the issue would have been fixed. So frustrating!!

2 Likes

It’s now a little over a year since the OP and still PH3 is limited to Mojave 10.14?

1 Like

Yep pretty sad - tutorials show this would be great to capture personal history - but without being able to work on MacOS losing customer opportunities. Is anyone even looking at updating this application ???

1 Like

Just got the 2022 holiday offer. I notice this won’t work on Big Sur either. PH3 is quite old (around 7 years). Is there any plan for an update/re-write? I realize the Rootsmagic re-write took much longer than anticipated and that updating PH3 might be quite the undertaking, but can someone from Rootsmagic comment on future roadmap?

Due to company policy and confidentiality agreements I cannot speak to Personal Historians’ future roadmap. I can confirm however that Personal Historian for PC & Mac are not being retired.

1 Like

Maybe not “retired” but a natural death being so old and unworkable on current platforms. :cry:

1 Like

Exact same problem here!!! I just got the Holiday 2023 Bundle! Wouldn’t work on Ventura or Sonoma.

I purchased Roots Magic 9 and added-on Personal Historian and Family Atlas to my order. I have followed the instructions on my MacBook Pro running Ventura, now upgraded to Sonoma, to override the “application downloaded from an unverified developer” (download, move to applications, eject installer, open the accessory application menu with control-click on icon, and keying through until you allow it).

However, neither ever seem to open, and in fact it causes a mini crash to the system. Screen flashes black reopens and all the apps have to reopen. Are these two just not friendly with these versions of MacOS? I suppose I could run Parallels or similar but I’d really like to have everything running together…I suppose I could ask for tech help as well but sometimes the community is faster!

Welcome Ellen (@WKRM)

Unfortunately it there is no tech support available as they have confirmed this product (Personal Historian) does not work on the current versions of MacsOS. This is very frustrating as they still are selling the product whilst most people would not even be able to use it.

I’ve held off upgrading my Parallels as I didn’t to have to purchase another piece of software just to make this one work. Already have enough subscriptions on apps to make this work. It would be much nicer if they were able to provide an updated solution.

@rzamor1 - any updates on when the company may start looking to support its loyal customer base ??

1 Like

Yep just chatted with someone on tech support. “Due to confidentiality…” they can’t tell me when or if ever it would be compatible with Ventura or Sonoma. The tech them said “they still function on older Macs, I have Monterey with them, or a windows computer” which is presumes people just have extra computers lying about. I guess I am out the $ spent. :sob:

ETA: Nor do they support using it when run on Parallels.

Interesting. With Monterey only being supported by Apple to later this year (based on previous end of life support cycles and MacOS version prior to Monterey no longer supported by Apple), either they will need to provide an updated version, or confirm the product is no longer workable.

It’s interesting to see on the website that PH3 only lists to Mojave (which was released in 2018), so is now 6 versions old and became unsupported by Apple in 2021.