Can I add the same information to every record in an RM8 data file?

I ‘inherited’ a genealogical file of 900+ people from my deceased father, who did not use sources. I would like to identify my father as the source of all the original records.
Is there any method to make a ‘global’ entry in the source field for all records?
Any advice appreciated.
Joe

If you export the file as a GEDCOM and import it back into a new blank database there is an option to add a source to:

• People - Add the following source to every person imported
  • Events - Add the following source to every event imported
  • People/Events - Add the following source to every person and event imported
2 Likes

It worked! Thank you so much

You are already done, but there a way that might have been easier. In RM7, it was called Multi-Cite. The feature still exists in RM9, but so far as I know it doesn’t have a specific name in RM9. Because of the way sources and citations work in RM9, it’s under citations in RM9 instead of being under sources.

Namely, go to Sources. If there is not already a source like you need, create one - else choose an existing one. If there is not already a citation like you need, create one - else choose an existing one. Then, 3 Dots => Add This Citation To Multiple People. Choose everybody in your database.

There is one difference between this method and the GEDCOM method. Namely, this method will only add the citation to the persons whereas the GEDCOM method will optionally add the citation to the persons and their facts.

I normally prefer to avoid exporting my entire database and reimporting it because there can be data losses. But because of the nature of your project where you are starting a new database from existing data, I wouldn’t worry about that issue very much. For that matter, if you imported your father’s data as GEDCOM in the first place, you could just rerun that step while adding the citations at the same time.