Adding parents in RM9

You could also explain the difference between adding a single parent and adding parents. If they select the Add Parent option they won’t have an issue if the parents are already in the database.

Now it’s failing again for me. As I think back to earlier today, I think I misinterpreted what I was seeing and that I never saw it working.

By failing, I mean it’s adding an individual rather than adding a couple as you get with Right Click => Add Parents. The result is the incorrect and multiple linking we have been describing.

1 Like

I have only been using RM9 for a few days, but I have now tried this dozens of times and it has never worked properly.

I didn’t originally post here because I was trying to be clever; I just wanted to fix some relationships that were wrong in my database and by trying to do so I made the situation worse. I am not new to genealogy or to RM - I have been using RM7 for years - and nor am I new to IT. I pressed the obvious buttons in front of me to add a parent, I chose the option to select an existing parent, and it did not/does not work properly.

Renee, your argument might make sense if we were talking about adding new parents, but there can’t be any argument for RM giving the user the choice to add an existing parent without being abe to add to an existing family. Also ‘add father’ and ‘add mother’ are there on the screen in front of you in big letters whereas ‘add parents’ is hidden away requiring a right mouse click. There isn’t an argument in favour of tricking the user into the getting things wrong. The fact that it works correctly in RM7 is the final proof of how it should work. It is a bug.

1 Like

I have put in a report on this to development. I’ve just been saying what works so you don’t have an issue with creating a second set of parents.

1 Like

Thank you @rzamor1 Renee.