8.2.5.0 - Still an issue with adding new persons

It was looking good. I was able to edit/add info to fields of existing persons. But when I attempt to add a new child to a family, I get the Access Violation.
RM 8.2.5.0 MacOS Monterrey 12.5.1 on an iMac, and (full disclosure) I do use a second monitor. Is that still an issue?

MBP 14" M1 Pro all software current. Able to add child without AV crash. No 2nd monitor.

Have you tried running the database tools under File, Tools? If it continues then open a support ticket with the steps to reproduce.

Just want to make sure… the second monitor should be OK?

I haven’t heard that a second monitor is still an issue with AV errors after releasing 8.2.5.

Actually, I think it is. I just did as you suggested. Figuring out how to start a support ticket. I’ll copy the steps here:

iMac macOS 12.6; RM 8.2.5.0

Opened Burdick-Stauffer File

Ran DB Tools, as suggested by Renee Zamora

Opened Parent Record (William J. Varner)

Double clicked “Add Child” (Single click didn’t work)

Entered name, sex, Birth date and place

Person was already entered but not connected to a family

It worked

Same parent

Single click worked for Add Child

Clicked “use this person”
It worked

Moved to Dell Monitor (U2515K) Using Pull down on Window tab

Same parent

Add child

Clicked OK.

Clicked “use this person”

RM suggested slightly different place name. I clicked “Keep original place”

Access Violation

Quit RM

Started again.

Screen appeared on DELL monitor. Stayed t here.

Same parent

Add child

Clicked OK.

Access Violation

Quit RM

Started again

Moved screen to Computer monitor

Same parent

Add child

Clicked OK.

It worked

You can open a support ticket here - https://support.rootsmagic.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thank you Renee. I’m happy to know that I can probably move forward using RM8 as long as I don’t go to the other monitor. Tho’ it would surely be nice for that to work also. I appreciate your responses.

Was running RM8 so it displayed on the 2nd monitor and was having the access violation problem. Then I changed to having the display on my laptop and have not been having the access violation problem.

That’s obviously not ideal, you would want to run on a larger screen where possible. In my case primary display is iMac 27" 5K so it’s not much of an issue.

Ah ha! I’m running 8.2.5 on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 with RM on a 2nd monitor. The 8.2.5 release did fix one cause of access violation I was getting, but I still get them frequently, usually when adding a fact or when RM suggests a location change. I’ll try it back on the laptop screen and see if they go away.

1 Like

Confirmed. After moving RM back to the laptop screen, no more access violations where they were happening on the 2nd monitor, e.g. adding facts.

8.2.6.0 was recently released

It didn’t fix these access violations though.