Unknown spouses - who wants them?

Thanks Tom.
I really appreciate the time you’ve spent on this and your advice. I will do as you suggest and include link to this thread when I contact support, which is likely to be early next week

1 Like

Really disappointed to report that yesterday this problem reappeared in my main tree, and while I assume that I did something to cause it, I now can’t for the life of me work out what it was. It seems to be an intermittent problem which I’m assuming is operator error. I haven’t been able to recreate it in my play tree, which is behaving normally so far.
I hadn’t got around to reporting it (maybe just as well), but will do so now. In the meantime my work-around is not to add parents unless I know the name(s) of both.

It may not be any repeatable actions on your part but rather an internal irregular delay in combination with your normal procedure that trips up a sequence in the program giving rise to the orphaned Name.

1 Like

Trying to devise a form of words for the report I want to send to Support - it really is quite difficult to explain the problem clearly.
Still, at least I have a screen shot now

Finally emailed Support today about this problem. Included the link to this thread, as you suggested.
Thanks again for your help.
Happy Christmas!

Just to bring you up to date - advice was to Drag and Drop, but I ended up simply doing a GEDCOM export and re-import, which solved the problem for me.

Typical response from Tech Support. Clears your problem but they don’t advise you of the potential losses involved nor make any attempt to diagnose the fault and try to determine the cause. See
https://sqlitetoolsforrootsmagic.com/gedcom-dnd-transfer-losses/

Thanks Tom. I had already found that Groups didn’t travel, but will read your page on transfer losses carefully so I know what else to expect.
In one way I’m just so grateful that the main body of the database is back and working properly that I can put up with the hassle of having to re-enter some of the data - I still have the corrupted file to copy from (manually, of course!) if I have to.

This problem reappeared today - I could scream! However, at present, it doesn’t seem to be as pervasive as the previous occasion - seems to be limited to just one family, and if that’s the case, I think I know what happened.
Still annoying though